Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our lawn care guys seeded my flower bed.

Posted by ErinChicago 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 10:11

So...our lawn service guy got happy when overseeding & put grass seeds in my flower bed. The bed only has a few perennials/bulbscurrently--I had just prepped the bed with enriched soil becuase I plan to plant more perennials this week or next. I tried to scoop out the seeds, but now I've got grass growing in there. I tried to pull grass by hand, but not much luck. I'll mulch after I put in the perennials, but any other suggestions? The lawn care service manager recommended to apply "Preen" next spring--kills grass, not flowers. Any thoughts on that? Thank you for your suggestions & sympathy :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our lawn care guys seeded my flower bed.

They messed it up:
they can clean up the mess.

sylvia

ps: I don't know what Preen is, but I wouldn't apply, or allow to be applied, anything that I hadn't researched.

Best luck!

o

Don't use herbicide. If you have only a few other plants in the bed, cover the grassy area with several sheets of newspaper. Make sure all the area is covered, leaving maybe 3" around the crown of the perennials or the trunk of the shrubs and also the spots where your new perennials will be, wet down the paper, mulch thickly. You'll have to pull the grass from the uncovered areas by hand, but there'll be much less work.

I know a place where you can get free mulch & compost & horse manure/bedding. Please email me.

Good luck. :-)

o

Preen (active ingredient is Treflan) is a pre-emergent. Does not work on existing grass. I would tell that lame landscaper to get in there with some roundup on a paint brush, and swipe the grass in your beds.

There's a great deal of information in the web about Preen and other pre-emergent herbicides. I'd have that landscaper present a program to see, supported by the fact sheets and MSDS.

This happened to my neighbor, too. She completely covered her beds with sheets and plastic this year!

o

Yea, the lawn service is not so smart--they did offer to pull it up, but I don't trust them to fix it--they'd end up killing my plants so I'd rather they stay just away (they'd probably use chemical anyway). Much of the grass is away from existing plants--could I smother it with plastic temporarily until I put plants in the bed next week? How long would it take for the grass to die out if I smothered it? If that doesnt' work, I'll try the newspaper trick. Thanks!

o

I gotta go with Sylvie-

they didn't do the job right, they can clean it up on their time.

however- since they didn't offer, the layered newspaper and mulch works really well :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here