Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmc_nebraska

Poinsettia

PMC_Nebraska
18 years ago

I neeed some help here.

I had three poinsettias that I put into a large pot on the deck as a lark last spring. The darned things grew and are absolutely beautiful. I have read how to try to get them to bloom again and figure I don't have anything to lose by trying.

Poinsettias have to be kept completely dark from 5 pm to 8 am, then placed in a sunny spot. I need to come up with some kind of cover for it. Problem is that the plants are now hip high and probably 4 feet across. It is too big to cover with a big trash bag. I haven't come up with a box that is tall enough. Any suggestions? It has to be easy on and off as it is a daily thing.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Do you have an unused room that can be taken over for this 6 week event? You would have to pull the curtains and keep the door closed for the 12-14 hour dark period. Perhaps you have a large closet that can be emptied so that you can use it for a dark chamber.

Should you decide to do this again next year, take cuttings so that you can have more manageable plants. You can also severely prune your poinsettia in the spring (that's when you could take some of the cuttings and propagate them).

• PMC_Nebraska
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can do the closet thing and I guess I can put the pot on one of those wheeled coaster things so it is easier to move around.

I just thought it would be fun to see if i could get it to rebloom and it would be really cool to have it as big as it is.

Truth be known, I usually hate poinsettias...my Dh likes them at xmas time. I usually try to not take care of them so I don't feel guilty after the holidays when I get to toss them.

For some reason I screwed up last year and let the things live......and now it is a challenge!!! LOL

• chadnliz
    18 years ago

I also have a Poinsettia...actually two of them from last Xmas, I cant let a living thing die. Mine is not as big as the PMC Nebraska's. Good luck with yours. I cant wait to see how yours does. Please keep us informed.
    Liz

• PMC_Nebraska
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just an updat efor all of you.

I bought a 4 foot wide roll of landscapers plastic. Cut a piece that is long enough to go completely around the plant. At night I wrap it up and fasten the edges with black binder clips (office supply. The plastic is big enough that it will close over the top of the plant. Teh binder clips are not weighing down the plant. So far, so good.

If I end up with a beautiful red plant, I'll post a picture.

• PMC_Nebraska
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a quick update. I now have a few red leaves. They are mostly the small new growth but we are getting there.

• narissa_tattsyrup_yahoo_co_uk
    18 years ago

I spent 4 years trying to work out what my plant was. I have now found out I have a restricted branching poinsettia, but cannot find much about it. Also it turns red in the summer months. Is it an alien?

• mlcurry_cox_net
    18 years ago

I forgot about this post. My poinsettia did indeed bloom. The top maybe third of the leaves turned red and I got the yellow bracts. Unfortunatley, it lookesd at its best maybe two weeks after Christmas. So next year I will try to start it sooner in the fall...Possibly the first of September.

• knitster
    17 years ago

I had about 3 plants from Christmas 05 and salvaged a couple from people that were going to through them out. In early summer I planted them all in a redwood planter in our courtyard (facing east). They absolutely flourished and the leaves were actually starting to turn red. On 17 Sep I decided to repot and bring them indoors (the nights are starting to cool down alot). I placed 3 plants in a 15" pot and now it appears they went into shock and are really drooping. Should I do something or will they come back on their own or are they a lost cause?

• sissychick58_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Ok...I think I will try covering mine with the black garbage bag during it's sleeping hours. How often do you water the plant while it is going through this?