Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larisa1203

New with a LOT of questions!

larisa1203
17 years ago

This past spring I began landscaping around my front walk and along the foundation of the house, facing the street. I have a variety of plants and I'm very happy with it, mainly because of all the hardwork I put into it...I'm just not sure if it looks good or not.

On the bed to the left of the sidewalk I have a gardenia, azaleas, nandina firepower, creeping phlox (I think), mondo grass and assorted annuals like dianthus, petunias and vinca. Now that I have that all done and it has been growing in during the summer it does look ok (to me anyways) but, now I am getting ready to start on the landscaping for the sides and the back of the house.

In doing this I have a lot of questions that I should have asked before I just jumped in but, better late than never.

First, what should I do to prepare my soil before planting? In this area we have a very sandy soil (that fire ants love). For the bed I did this year I just added in bags of organic mixture. Is this right or should I do more to prepare my soil?

I am completely lost when it comes to choosing my plants. Do I grow from bulbs, seed or buy containers from the nurseries?

Is it ok to have a bunch of frangrances together like gardenia, lavender, jasmine?

Do I mix perennials and annuals together or is this a no-no?

Which color mixtures work well? I am partial to pinks and purples and dark foliage but, if I add a yellow in there will look unattractive?

When do I begin planting and preparing...do I start in fall or this spring....or does it just depend on what I'm planting?

Now, the biggest question that is stumping me...do I plant a bed for just one season or should I have a variety of plants that bloom in different seasons? In other words should I mix spring bloomers like tulips with fall bloomers like mums? I just don't want big ugly spots while the rest of the flowers are big and beautiful.

Any help can be greatly appreciated and also if you can direct me to links of garden plans etc. I'm just a little unsure about what I have and where to start.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Comments (4)

• larisa1203
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a picture of the area to the enclosed by the sidewalk. This picture was taken earlier this spring and the plants have grown quite a bit since then but, you can get an idea as to whether or not I have the right idea. Please feel free to criticize and critique the things I have done.

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

I think your first effort looks great.

I'm a gardener, which in my opinion is different from a landscaper ... and, to me, gardening is about trying new things and changing things around.

A lot of the questions you asked are really answered by what is your own preferences. Colors, fragrances, annuals vs. perennials, bulbs,etc..... Put in whatever you like ... if you don't like where you put it you can always move it. And don't be afraid to try different colors/flowers/bushes in different combinations and areas.

I have been gardening for 15+ years, and now tend to not do too much with annuals, they cost too much and they don't last the winter here. I have all types of plants in my gardens, plants that start blooming in the Spring (bulbs), plants that bloom at different times of the summer, plants that specifically bloom in the Fall, plants/bushes just for their foliage, tall plants, short plants, all colors ....

A garden is a living evolving thing that I change as I need to or want to. Some plants don't do well in a certain spot, so I'll try them in another spot. Some plants do SO well in one spot that they crowd everything else, so either I move everything else, or move the huge plant.

I'm not familiar with your zone so I can not help you with when to plant ... I'm done planting up here in the North for the season. You need to plant things early enough before you get a frost (do you get a frost?) so they have enough time to establish their roots ... and these would be perennials & bushes. Annuals normally are planted in the spring. Bulbs are normally planted now to bloom in the spring.

Start visiting local nurseries and write down plants you like, look at other local gardens and ask the owner what they are growing. Most gardeners love to talk about their plants.

Hopefully someone closer to zone 8 will chime in with timing, etc.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that's part of gardening.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: My Farm & Gardens

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

If you amend your soil now, in the autumn, it can weather over the winter. Sometimes it can take a few months to 'season', and can even slow down plant growth.

I notice you've mulched your new area - and that's a good idea on a light soil. Helps to hold in the moisture, stop it blowing away, and keep the heat down to comfortable below the surface.

With the colours you like - unless you want a dramatic 'punctuation' which is what a pure yellow would give - think about soft creams or silvers to show up the richness. Or soft orange, perhaps, if you're looking for drama in the planting. And lime green foliage can be really amazing, too.

When you learn to grow from seed (not hard with many plants) then you can use plants you like rather than having to take what's on offer at the garden centre. It takes time and forward planning - and somewhere to put them while they sprout and grow on but it can be very satisfying.

Bulbs are like icing on the cake. They fill a space between the seasons, often, but have a long time when they're not exactly eye-catching. If you like solid blocks of colour - then you also need to like the work of clearing them away to either dry or grow on in a less-public place. Lovely to have. If you think, perhaps, in terms of ribbons of colour winding through your foundation plantings, or pools of colour - or even singles (think sharp orange or red tulips against a purple foliaged bush, for example) rather than a dedicated display patch.

It is possible to do the whole garden in annuals. You do your preparation in autumn: lots of compost, and decide on your colour scheme for the spring-summer-autumn. When the end of the season approaches - rotary hoe the whole lot into the beds, add some general purpose fertiliser and head off to someplace warm for winter. I'm not being flippant on this. Several prize-winning gardens are done in this way. The annual clearance (and some edge changes) helps to keep the soil in good health.

Generally, though, a mix of shrubs and perennials gives the 'bones' or foundation for the garden and the bulbs, annuals, hard landscaping add the elegant touches. It is a good way to get a flow of 'action' and calm in the garden. Blooms all over every day can be a bit hectic. Gardens can be peaceful, too.

When you can - plant in groups of more than one of the same thing. You wouldn't want to with a big tree, unless your yard is big, but you certainly can with smaller shrubs, such as your Nandina. Doing that can help to 'calm down' a planting scheme and reduce a sense of 'spottiness'. They also make breaks between one planting idea and another like a room divider, if you wish.

Something I tend to kick against is the discipline of planting to provide an elegant setting for the house and the desire to accommodate all those yummy plants I keep seeing. Compromise... the front yard has the discipline and the back yard has the riotous mix which is more about the...

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

Nature usually puts her plants in groups, which may be why that pleases our inner eye. When planning where to put your plants, keep in mind that (unless you are going for a very aligned, formal look) odd numbers of plants "look" better than even numbers, and triangles appear more pleasing than squares, and curves are more comfortable than straight lines, and a variety of textures/sizes will extend your growing pleasure far longer than having a lot of only one thing.

Like vertivert8, the front of my house is planted to please the passerby's eye, and the sides and back are planted to please me. The landscaping a mixture of perennials, bulbs, and annuals because I like to always have something in bloom - and my area has a blooming season which starts in March and continues through November :)

I've been gardening for so long that I feel free to amuse myself by setting challenges, and the best one has been to find and plant bulbs so that *some* bulbs are in bloom throughout the growing season. Still working on that one... in my yard, October bulbs seem to prefer blooming in September. So don't hesitate to plant bulbs you like, and add a few varieties that are new to you; they give a lot of reward for the effort.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations