Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves curling under = not enough water?

Posted by annewaldron SoCal,10 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 13:27

My vinca, which up to this point has been doing fine, suddenly has started to look a bit droopy (especially the blooms) with some of its leaves curling tightly under. before I start watering it more, I want to make sure that this is a sign of not enough water.

Thanks,
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves curling under = not enough water?

Sounds thirsty to me! Whatever it is....a bit of extra water can't hurt!
Linda C

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 23:18

Well, yah, extra water can hurt! It's call root rot.

But check the soil -- feel it. Is it wet, moist, or dry? And to what depth? Now you know the answer! :>)

o

jean001 is right, it can be Rhizoctonia (root/ stem rot) or Phytophthora (aerial blight). More than likely it's the first one. If, at the present, only some of your Vinca have it, it will only be a matter of time before the rest of them get it. Rhizoctonia is caused by too much water. The roots cannot take in the water that is surrounding it, and therefore, rot. Another problem is the stem will begin to hollow and sink in, this causes the leaves to wilt and curl under, and eventually the plant will collapse. There are treatments, but, depending on how much damage has already ocurred, the Vinca may not be able to be saved. I have included a link that has information regarding treatments. Start right away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca Disease Control

o

I've seen a lot more gardners with plants suffering from drought than root rot....
In southern California?...Hot and dry?

Rhizoctonia is sometimes called "southern blight" and you will see little orangey spots on the stem....and certainly on the roots.
Plants die from it when they are stressed, usually by drought and then suddenly lots of water is supplied and the weather is very warm and humid...green house conditions...
The organism is pretty endemic in the soil, especially if you plant a lot of nursery grown plants.
Unless your soil is very wet, it's likely dry conditions causing the leaf curl. Plants need more water as they grow....the leaves transpire more.
Linda C

o

Crap!! Well I stuck my finger in the soil this morning and it seemed awfully "loose" i.e. easy to stick my finger in (?) and it was VERY moist- although the sprinkler had come on a few hours earlier. And I also saw an earthworm leaving it for the other bed (?). The weird thing is that there is another vinca in this bed that has been there for several years.

We have the sprinkler come on every morning- I think it used to be every other day, but I made my BF change it- is it too much??? I'm freakin' out a bit because now that I'm thinkin about it- I don't think it's not enough water....it may be too late!!! Crap!!!!

What should I do??? : (

Anne

o
follow-up comment

It's not really hot/dry where I live. We're close to the beach, so we get fog, cool evenings, and not-so-hot days. Plus this is a partial sun, entryway "bed"- surrounded on all sides by concrete, next to the front door. WITH its own sprinkler head! Iy-yiy-yiy, this is all starting to sound like I'm probably drowning these things...

help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here