Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy_gw

Death of a Korean Spice Viburnum

Sandy
18 years ago

I have several Korean Spice ViburnumÂs growing on my property which were planted 5 years ago when our home was built. IÂve enjoyed their fragrant flowers in the spring and would like to continue doing so. However, thereÂs one problem....they keep dying.

They seem to perform well with generous spring blooms, nice full foliage and new growth. Then all in a sudden (and I do mean SUDDEN!) the leaves wilt, turn brown and the plant dies. Everything IÂve read about these plants is that they are hardy and perform well with little care. What am I doing wrong?!?

They are planted in the east & north side of our home. The soil conditions are somewhat clayish after going down 2" below the surface. There is always 1 to 2" of mulch covering the plants. I donÂt have them on any watering regiment...other than when I see their leaves start to wilt, then I provide plenty of water in hopes that it will revive them. However, watering at this point doesnÂt do much good.

Is it the growing conditions that is killing the plants (soil or sunlight)? Lack of water? Bugs? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I would like to continue to enjoy their blooms but my pocketbook and my back are getting tired of replacing them.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!