Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopeda123

Trumpet vine container growing???

nopeda123
10 years ago

Hi,

I have a slip on a dock at a marina and have had pretty fair luck container growing tomatoes, so I'd like to try some trumpet vine to try attracting hummingbirds. I already have some seeds sprouted and know it's late in the year, but I'm hoping it will end up being early for next year instead of too late in this one. If they die over the winter I'll start new seeds in spring, but if they make it through then they'll hopefully have an early start for next year.

I have a couple of basic questions. Is it best to only grow one plant per container like with tomatoes, and let it branch out for itself without having more than one plant compete with each other? Will one plant spread out and make more than one vine?

The soil I use for tomatoes is Miracle Grow potting mix. Is that as good as anything for trumpet vine too? That soil has worked GREAT for the tomatoes.

Should I let the vine get several inches long in a smaller pot, and then bury it along the surface of the final container so it spreads and sends up several more shoots, or won't it do that?

Thanks for any help!
David

Comments (4)