Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Pots of impatiens fizzled....

lindac
18 years ago

Not nearly the number of blooms as other years....but for a few pots....they are great!

I bought some new, very expensive, exclusive potting soil. It was wonderful! Plants took off and suffered no shock and just grew like gang busters.....and it even had time release fertilizer....so that I wouldn't have to feed the post all season!....but the plants were a lot of leaf and not a lot of flower.

I should have known better....but I got bamboozled!

Lots of things like soil that isn't too "fertile".......and I know that!

Linda C

Comments (10)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

For my containers, I use potting soil amended with osmocote and then I fertilize every time I water with a solution of Bloom Plus per their recommendation. It works very well.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

More for other's info than yours, Linda, the likely culprit is a little too much nitrogen. I use soils that require daily watering, so even time-release fertilizers don't last long. I've adopted a fertilizer regimen that seems to provide good foliage growth without sacrificing bloom volume.

As long as foliage color is deep green, I fertilize with a heavy ounce of 5-1-1 fish emulsion plus a heavy ounce of 10-50-10 bloom inducing soluble fertilizer like MG, Peter's or similar to each 2 gallons of water. As soon as I see a slight change toward the yellow in foliage color, I switch to a 5-1-1 fish emulsion plus a soluble 20-20-20 like Peter's. I usually fertilize about every 7-14 days, depending on how hot it is. When it's extremely hot, I forgo fertilizer applications altogether & when temperatures are in the 70's. I might fertilize weekly. Slower draining soils will require less frequent applications, but foliage color is a very good guide.

I just had to replenish my soluble fertilizer supplies, and when I was shopping, I noticed that Peter's brand advertised on the label that it contained the micro-nutrients, something usually always lacking in container culture. I'm not sure if some of the others (MG, Schultz) also contain the minor elements, but I opted for that brand this time. I guess it's just effective advertising to note the mix includes the minors.

Cheers.

Al

• lindac
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That was my point Al.... "all purpose" stuff.....I prefer to do my own thing....
    I don't cook with bisquick....so why should I put a "mix" into my flower pots....I was bamboozled!...I chose the lazy way.....and am sorry!
    Linda c

18 years ago

I agree. I haven't used a commercial mix in more than 10 years. Everything from scratch. Makes a huge difference in margin for error in watering habits and in o/a ease of maintaining good plant vitality.

Al

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Linda, lots of these (awful) expensive all purpose potting mixes also seem to be loaded with a lot of wetting agents and water holding polymers, as well as the fertilizers. Those ingredients equal an equation that results in disaster, in my experience.

My own major potting soil horror (of my own making) was to substitute clay-based kitty litter for the Turface in my mix. My brain knew that this would not work, but I crumpled under the convictions of ROBERT!!!!! He should have known better, and so should I! (Don't laugh, Al.)

18 years ago

Neither of you can be blamed for trying & I'm sure Robert's advice could have been good. The baked clay products are fired to varying degrees. The hi-fired stuff like Turface (as you know) is almost ceramic in nature & lasts indefinitely, while the low fired products turn to gumbo. There's no way to tell which is which, unless you try the product or stick with a "tried & true", and I'm guessing since the product doesn't have to pass a lot of rigorous tests to absorb ... well, absorb stuff, it's likely that the integrity of the kitty products varies even by batch.

Al

• lindac
    Original Author
    18 years ago

But....Dorie! He's so good looking!....He ought to be afforded some slack.... LOL!
    Linda C

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

I went against my natural Scrooge instincts, bought expensive mix - and ended up with huge chunks of water crystals all over the surface. Not impressed. Unnecessary repotting so delicate roots didn't rot away. Grr.

Linda: have you tried the double Impatiens at all? I've been eyeing them up and dithering. Are they worth the extra?

• lindac
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I plant impatiens for masses of color in a shady place......the double ones are not such prolific bloomers for me and when it rains the blooms get heavy and hang down...
    I like the plain old single varieties!...
    The New Guinea are lovely....but they need more sun than my shady places and less than my sunny places.
    I grow plain ole impatiens!
    Linda C

18 years ago

I like double impatiens (snaps & coleus, too) as single specimens. They're easily pruned into a tree shape, thicken quickly, and form impressive, small flowering bonsai in a single season. I give many away (all cuttings, taken from one or 2 plants I buy as early as I can find them) as gifts to garden visitors. The double impatiens respond very well to deadheading as soon as blooms begin to fade. For some reason, it seems as though the whites are easiest & most prolific bloomers of the doubles.

Al