Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving established plants

Posted by emmyt z6-7 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 18:12

I foolishly planted a container of black eyed susan last year in a tiny garden patch, not realizing how big they get and that they spread. Would like to move them to an area where there's much more room for them, and plant in their place some mums or other smaller perennial. It's fall now, so the susan's flowers are gone, but the leaves are still green. Is it safe to dig them up now and replant elsewhere? Will probalby (hopefully) be a month before we get below freezing temps.

In that same small patch are also some established evergreen bushes (both needled and flat oval-leaf types--sorry don't know names), that I'd also like to move so that I can plant something that flowers in their place. Any advice about when/how to dig them up?
thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving established plants

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 18:35

Move the Susans.....they will be fine....but wait until spring for the evergreens.
They keep their needles all winter and depend on their root systems to keep hydrated.....best not to mess with the roots now.
Linda C

o
RE: moving established plants

• Posted by emmyt z6-7 PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 23:13

Thanks Linda. Two of the evergreens are a broadleaf type--flat oval shaped waxy leaves about 1/2 to 1 inches long, a really common bush but I don't know the name. Should I wait until spring to dig those up as well? Also, they are fairly large, about 4 ft high, so I expect their root system is pretty well spread. Will I kill them if the roots get cut when I try to dig them up?
Thanks.
emmy t

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here