Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathaab

cover crop

kathaab
15 years ago

hi,

I have grown beans as a cover crop for the first time, it didn't take time to sprout. uprooted, chopped and dug into the soil. now what do i do? do i water the soil till i plant something else in its place and do i follow this procedure to any cover crop i grow? thank you.

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I'm not sure I understand.....cover crops are most often planted when the soil is fallow (not under cultivation), like in the fall through winter. Typically these are left in place until a month or so before you are ready to resume planting in spring. The cover crop prevents erosion to the soil over winter from wind and rain, keeps weeds down and then returns nutrients to the soil when it is worked back in in spring.

Not knowing your location, perhaps you are located in the southern hemisphere and this IS an appropriate time to dig in a cover crop and replant. If so, it is not necessary to continue watering the soil until you replant. And you want to time your tilling in the cover crop to about 4-6 weeks before planting time - this allows sufficient time for the crop to begin to decompose in the soil but not too much time to leave the soil bare and idle.

• kathaab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry if you don't fully understand, but English is not my native language. What i meant was do i uproot or simply cut the stem of the cover crop plant and bury it in the soil and if watering is necessary. Hope you understand me this time. Thank you very much.

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

It is better to leave the roots in the ground. As they die off they add to the soil's humus.

So, cut back your crop and till it into the soil. Do not bury it deeply. Most soil organisms live in the top few inches. The plant material will decay quickest where the soil is warm and there is a lot of small micro-organisms.

If you know your soil will be dry between now and the first frost it might help to water that patch to take advantage of the last of the warmth to speed up decomposition.

Otherwise, if you do not choose to leave your land bare over winter (if you are Northern hemisphere) remove all the top plant material and put it in the compost heap to rot down over winter. Dig over the soil and plant out your winter hardy vegetables.

Or, you might be leaving the land fallow for the frost to 'sweeten' and break down any heavy clods. Unfortunately, this can lead to erosion by wind and rain - and the loss of good soil, unless your garden is very sheltered.

If you are also Southern Hemisphere - and you are digging in broad/fava beans - add any lime or dolomite before you start digging in. Chop up the tops and stems into smaller pieces before digging. Once you have turned in your cover crop, leave the ground for about six weeks (as described in the first reply). Most of the leaves and small roots will be gone and only the big stems will be left. Lettuce would probably be fine as a follow-on crop.

• kathaab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much for your input. Could someone post a closeup pictures of all plant seeds that can be used as cover crop? Thank you again.

• kathaab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

why should there be a month gap between turning in cover crop to the soil and planting my crop? any harm if done otherwise? thank you.

• edgar_1
    15 years ago

I planted spelt late in september in Brooklyn in my back plot. Not sure if birds ate all the seeds and not sure if I raked in deep enough or too deep but only a hand full of sprouts appeared to date.
    Did I plant to late or or nto deep enough planting.