Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hauer277

How do I grow Poppies

hauer277
18 years ago

I am new to gardening and live in new york. I want to grow poppies. When is the best time to grow poppies? If I plant them in September when should I expect them to bloom? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

There are a few ways to grow poppies. First of all, what kind are you thinking about? There are perennial poppies and annual types, too.

The orientals which are permanent and come back each spring (perennial), can be bought at the garden center in spring. The annual types grow from seed each year and die when the summer gets hot. They're basically a spring plant in New York.

You can spread the seed on top of the soil at the end of winter/early spring. The seed is small and has to be on top of the soil. It also needs cold weather for germination (sprouting). In nature, the seeds fall from the plant in summer and sprout when the weather gets cold, blooming in spring.

If you go to the winter sowing forum, they will show you how to sow the seed outdoors in containers over winter...a method which works well with poppies. Really, they are easy plants, and there is so much variety to choose from.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

I have perennial poppies but only get 3 or 4 blooms a year. what am i doing wrong?

• hauer277
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am trying to grow Papaver Somniferum (Not sure of the spelling). I am confused as to when to plant and when to expect the flowers to bloom. If I plant now will they come up in spring? What is the difference or advantages of planting now as opposed to planting in the spring? If I plant in the spring when should I expect them to bloom? Anything in particular that I should know about?

• Rosa
    18 years ago

Susan has give you some great advise.
    Papaver somniferum is an annual. I sow these on top of the snow anytime between Nov and beginning April. They will benefit from the cold and also need light to germinate. This is a very lazy way but I get great germination. These self seed readily each year. Here they bloom midsummer but my season is very short and it stays alot cooler, especially at night. They will be much earlier for you-late spring/early summer.

• hauer277
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I will try it out and see how it goes. Thanks again!!

• muirmatt_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Do all poppies start out coming like a dandelion would except just groweing taller and taller w/out a dandelion?
    I am very confused because I think i bought some bogus seedscan anyone send me some pics of their garden. my email is muirmatt@yahoo.com
    Thanks so much!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

Yes, poppy seedlings look somewhat like dandelion plants when small. There are so many kinds of poppies with different-looking leaves, some toothed, some with fine, feathery leaves, some blue-green, some flat. Let them grow to see what you have.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area