Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butterfly bush

Posted by lil_greenthumb 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 0:24

does anyone know what a seed from a butterfly bush looks like? silly but are they just under the dried flower
???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butterfly bush

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 2:08

There's a picture here that you may or may not find helpful. I've heard people describe the capsules containing the fine seeds as tiny footballs, seems appropriate. You can just locate the pods (capsules) and crumble those to sow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly seeds

o
RE: butterfly bush

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 10:34

The flower bracken will produce hundreds of little football shaped pods standing on end. It takes a couple months for the pods to develop and ripen after the flower fades. When the pods turn brown (usually well after the freeze in zone 5) the seeds will be ripe. If you let them stay on the plant long enough, the pods will crack open. Carefully clip the whole bracken into a bag and give it a shake and you will have a million little yellowish "hairs" fall out. Those are the seeds!

If you don't let the pods crack open after they are brown, just gently crush the pods and sow chaff and seeds. Unless the pods crack open, it is impossible to separate chaff from seed but that is no big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here