Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omoigaara

If you are going to plant a tree, I suggest the Oregon White Oak

OmoiGaara
18 years ago

The reason I think that you should choose the Oregon White Oak is because of how many different animal species the Oregon White Oak is able to hold, along with some other facts. The Oregon White Oak can hold 160 different animal species or more, thatÂs over three times the amount of a regular tree. They have a lot of birds because of their deep furrowed bark holds home to a lot of insects. They are fire resistant, and they grow mistletoe. YouÂd think that they would be plentiful, but instead they are almost on the endangered plants list. They exist in some preserves and in the parks, but to truly make the plant survive I believe that we need to expand the amount of Oregon White Oaks in peopleÂs yards and gardens. There used to be a lot in Cruise way, but they cut them all down so that they could build a church.

The Oregon White Oak is perfect if you want to attract little furry creatures. It is great for squirrels, birds, and bugs that will have your garden attract all kinds of animals that eat will eat them. It is a moderately fast growing tree, growing three to five inches a year. Once it is grown, it will provide great shade for you as well as being a nice addition to your yard. It will provide good learning material for your children, and maybe yourself, too.

The Oregon White Oak grows best in South Washington, Oregon, and North California, they can live in just about any soil. They produce galls, small hard shells that protect larva of a certain species. It turns carbon dioxide into oxygen faster than most other plant, too because of its accelerated growing speed. The galls it produces are fun to step on, and can also help get rid of chronic diarrhea. They are strong for the most part, but sometimes in heavy storms they can fall over. If they donÂt fall over and they are fully grown, they are strong enough to hold a swing.

If you are patient, they produce acorns that you can grind into flour; you have to leech it by washing it with water or just letting it sit under the mud. The reason you should leech it is because of the bitter taste that is in it. Though leeching can get rid of some of the vitamins, it can also be harmful if it isnÂt leeched. To leech it properly, you have to do this for a good couple of weeks. Once leached, you can use it for anything you would use ordinary flour for, this includes baking bread, cookies, muffins, ect.

They can usually live between 400 to 500 years if you donÂt cut them down, not that you ever would want to anyways. Because they live so long, it can be in your family for a long time, and your great (times about 16) grandchild can say Âmy great (times about 16) grandmother planted this when she was my age.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting