Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few plants I need help, please!

Posted by illinois z6 S Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 3:52

I have a wigela,it's 2 years old and about 4ft., do I cut it back or leave it alone?
A white lilac, cut or no cut? It's 2 yrs.
A clematis which just had one bloom on it this year,it's 2. I had to move it this summer though.
Last one is a pampas grass with silvery green plumes I just bought and I was wondering if I have to cut it back after I plant it.
For all that can help I thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few plants I need help, please!

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 12:10

Don't cut anything now.....
In the spring cut all the dead stuff off the pampas grass, do it early before any green shows.
If your spring bloomers, lilac and wigelia need pruning for shape, do it in the spring AFTER blooming....if they are not getting too big, do nothing.
In very early spring, cut the top growth on the clematis back by half...but you don't say what kind of clematis it is....I assume spring flowering.
Linda C

o
RE: A few plants I need help, please!

Good advice there Illinois. I would just add that as a general rule prune immediately after flowering those shrubs that flower on the previous years growth. That gives them time to build up and ripen new wood which will flower the next year.
Prune in autumn or spring (spring in very cold climates) those shrub that flower on current years growths.

Observe your shrubs and you will soon learn their habits of growth.

As already mentioned the pruning of Clematis is dependent upon the type. Just a little about Clematis on my website - link below.

Peter

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

o
RE: A few plants I need help, please!!!

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 05 at 11:41

AAH....but Peter....how to know just what sort of clematis you have....when you buy them for a song at a season end sale!
I have adopted the wait and see mode for the 3 new strangers I bought in July.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here