Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oiling wooden fence

Posted by weeddummie (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 7:49

Hi Garden webbers,

Not entirely a gardening question here, but related perhaps :)...I realised that I should be maintaining my border wooden fence by oiling it somehow. I know some people use used car motor oil. That doesn't sound right to me though - are there any 'organic' cheap methods? I haven't been to a hardware store about this yet - is there a special product for this?

Lotsa thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oiling wooden fence

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 7:53

Boiled linseed oil if you are looking for "organic".

Al

o

It might be cheaper to use a water sealant,
the type of product you would put on a wood deck.

(Don't know what's in water sealant, sorry)

o

I'll second the vote for boiled linseed oil. It's from a renewable source, easy to use, and the $ compares favorably with harsher sealants. Not positive, but I think I read you can also add tints to color it.

o

Third the vote for linseed oil. Hope you can find it in gallons where you buy lumber. You can pour it around posts to help preserve wood below the ground. I believe during WWI and WWII that it was the primary oil used to finish and preserve gun stocks. Check your dictionary under "linseed" to confirm that it is environmentally friendly.

If you are painting the fence, there are a couple of new waterproofers that may be easier to apply. Just check what you are going to buy, because some of the commercial deck sealers have to be reapplied every couple of years.

o

Just remember that unless the neighbour's on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing, it won't help much. Also any oil finish you use will not be permanent.
Cheers,
Dee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here