Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb29

New at this

greenthumb29
15 years ago

Hello i live in Mississippui and i have just started to plant flowers.

I bought a Trailing Sun Coleus (the one with the purple leaves) and it has started to look really bad i water it and then in a few days it shrivels up again. Does that mean it needs to be transplanted? or can i plant it in the ground? Also in the last couple of weeks it started to get these white spots all over it. I think they are egg sacks of some sort from a bug. Any ideas of how to get rid of them?

Aso any tips on planting a veggie garden in Mississippi please let me know. Like when to plant certian veggies

Thanks Michelle

Comments (2)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Would there be any way that you could attach a picture of the 'white spots'? We can't really help with an ID unless we can see it, or get a much better description.

Containerized plants require frequent watering in your climate, especially when it's warm. It would not be unusual to have to water every day.

I've attached a link to the Mississippi Extension office locater page. If you haven't paid a visit to your local office, this would be a perfect time to become acquainted. Not only would you probably find someone who can ID the 'spots' on the coleus, but they probably have a vegetable planting guide for free or very little money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's find your county office!

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

If the plant is still in the container it came in - gently take it from the pot and check the roots. And the potting soil.

Coleus are thirsty plants - and like to have a drink then be in damp but never water-logged soil. If the roots at the bottom are black and wet-looking - they've rotted and aren't helping the plant.

If you find that there is a big mass of roots in the pot and they are starting to curl around in the shape of the pot, then you need to transplant - either into the garden or into a bigger pot if you plan to keep it over winter. If there is hardly any free soil left in the pot, or it is dusty-looking, then you definitely need to repot.

Ask someone you know who has good houseplants, and pots their own, to show you how to root-prune and pinch back the top growth to keep a balance. If you know how - phew! If you don't, it helps to see someone else do it first. Then pot into a container that's an inch bigger all round than the present one, using some fresh mix. Don't push the mix down hard with your fingers because it flattens the air spaces and plant roots need air as well as water. Water after you've potted.

Please remember that just because it's in a bigger container, or out in the garden, it is going to take weeks before those roots start growing into the fresh soil so you will have to maintain your regular watering.

(If you moved it on into a much bigger pot when you bought it - it might easily be staying too wet because there are no roots in the big mass of new soil. Shift it to new mix in a smaller pot.)

If you have got a bug infestation then a spray such as Confidor could help. Keep the Coleus plant away from your other plants so they don't catch the bugs, too.

IME - rhizo always gives excellent advice so it's well worth following up on his suggestions.
    Good luck!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz