Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meggieb_gw

disposal of grass

MeggieB
18 years ago

My yard borders a forever wild area, which is part of our neighborhood, surrounding each lot. I am concerned that the disposal of grass in this area will conflict with the natural growth of this shaded wild land. A large pile of grass will inhibit growth in that area, i.e. ferns etc., and if dispersed I am concerned that grass will begin to grow throughout the area. Any comments are welcomed.

Comments (12)

• username_5
    18 years ago

I am not clear on if you are asking about disposing of the wild grass or disposing of turf grass in the area with native plants.

I am going to assume you are asking about disposing of turf grass in the natural area. Whether or not the clippings will result in grass growing there has a lot to do with the type of grass. Some grass can in fact root from clippings, most doesn't though.

However, I see no reason to ever do anything with turf grass other than leave it lay on the lawn. Assuming the lawn is mowed regularly and not when really wet the grass breaks down very quickly so isn't an eyesore and it is about the best thing you can do for the health of the soil the grass is growing in. It requires less effort than bagging the clippings and finding somewhere to dispose of them.

How to dispose of lawn clippings is a problem that in my opinion shouldn't ever be a problem.

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Here, many people buy "Mulching Mowers" or attach "Mulching Blades" to their mowers for just this purpose:

such blades shred the grass more finely, so it'll break down & return to the soil more quickly.

(kind of funny, because, in our warm climate, even cornstalks & sunflower stalks will break down & disappear within a year!)

Bless you for thinking before dumping junk in the forest!

sylvia

• elgrillo
    18 years ago

I also think that mulch-mowing really is the best answer. Most any grass that has seeds when mowed will come up from the seeds, besides bermuda and its relative grasses that will root from cuttings. If you have more grass than your lawn can break down, you might consider a commercial composter that will break down lawn and garden clippings rather quickly at a temperature high enough to kill seeds and spores. Then you can use the compost in your flower beds and feel free to scatter it in the wild area.

If you have bluegrass or fescue, you can mulch your flower beds directly with it. You can spread it in the wild area, too, but I would prefer it to be composted first.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Definitely use it for compost. Grass clippings are a fabulous source of nitrogen which heats up your compost pile. Layer it with brown stuff like autumn leaves and other plant material, and you will have renewable, organic, recycled fertilizer for your yard and garden.

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

Of course dumping trash (yes, yard waste is trash) on public or shared land is ethically wrong and possibly illegal. Grass clippings may also contain herbicides and insecticides and be bad for the forest plants and creatures.

If you keep your grass clippings on the lawn, you can reduce your fertilizer use by about 25% -- saving money!

• alan_
    18 years ago

I use my grass clippings as free mulch. It works for me.

• SaxonManFinland
    18 years ago

Grass cuttings from mown grass are a great mulch!! use it around shrubs or trees for weed control. Composting Grass is easy if you mix it with other course materials, BUT IF you just pile it up you will end up with a stinking black very soggy mess, as oxygen is excluded. I have 2000 square meters of grass, thats a lot of cuttings, it goes around veggies, around trees, left where it is or mixed with with other materials to compost. Sometimes Laid in the bottom of new veggie trenches i.e potatoes, and I even grew pumkins this year in a hole lined top,bottom and sides with grass cuttings and compost in the middle. It worked brilliantly.

• lindac
    18 years ago

I am guessing that some in the neighborhood are dumping their grass clippings in the "wild area" and the original poaste is concerned it will harm the wild aspect of the spot.
    A pile of grass will eventu7ally decompose and provide an ideal spot for ferns and such...but look ugly for a year while it does.
    Sprinkeling it around would do no harm, I can't think of any lawn grass that would take over a shaded area from clippings. But why waste all that great nitrogen? leave the clippings on your lawn!
    Linda C

• rblossom
    13 years ago

i would also like to know how i can get rid of grass cutting i live in patchogue ny.

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

rblossom: It depends on whether you are a 'tidy gardener' or not.

If you have an area of garden with many shrubs then you can sprinkle the lawn clippings under the shrubs - keeping the grass away from the stems. Also - spread it thinly because it heats up quickly in warm weather.

If you have a compost heap/bin then make a 'layer cake' with the clippings - and use them like frosting rather than the cake. If you pile them in a big heap they take ages to rot down, can attract bugs, and smell awful!

Because they rot quickly they help thick material to rot more quickly, too. Your household compost material - veggie peels and cores, pet fur, and your garden wastes - spent annuals and shrub trimmings will all break down more easily with having some grass clippings added.

Just - cut your grass before it gets long flower stalks or you could be spreading seeds you don't want.

If you have dug up some lawn to make a new garden bed - and you know there are no horrible weeds in your lawn - then put the grass side down and the dirt side up - and make a neat pile. Leave it alone for about a year or a little longer, then dig it over. All the grass and the roots help to make a very good soil for adding to garden beds when you are refreshing and dividing perennials or planting bulbs.

PS - no one minds if you ask a question again by starting a new thread. And sometimes spammers use old threads so your question could be missed.

If you need more info - please post again.

• rblossom
    13 years ago

u see we are doing our own lawn care business and lot of people dont want there grass mulched and we ended up with there grass clipping that is why i asked if there is any place where it can be taken.

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

This is a wild aside, rblossom: could you team up with someone doing shrub/tree pruning who also does chipping of the wastes - find a site and create a composted mulch for sale from mixing the two together?

You might need a tractor with a front-end loader (that's what we call them down here) for turning the heaps.

If your local dump has a green waste dumping site and a production plant for using the gas given off from rotting vegetation you may be able to take it there - and add the fees into your service fee, of course.

Or, if you're in a semi-rural location - a farmer who could use the extra green stuff on ploughed lands; or a plant nursery who make their own compost.

So long as you can keep it free of material treated with herbicides and relatively weed-free.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH