Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lantana looks sick

Posted by souppeggy z8GA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 05 at 11:53

I have lantana that has been planted in clay soil for years and it did quite well. However, this year it started off fine with blooms and then it started getting black shriveled up leaves on the ends of the stems and then all the leaves had this white colored look like I had put seven dust on them which I hadn't. I cut the stems way back and they came back looking the same. What's the problem. Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lantana looks sick

Without seeing your lantana in person, it's difficult to be certain. We can tell you, though, some of the problems that lantana is susceptible to. Your verbal description sounds quite a bit like powdery mildew, though this is not something that troubles lantana very often. If your plant is overcrowded or growing in some shade, this could be an option. Spider mites can often take out lantana, and the lantana lacebug is becoming more and more of an issue in the South. This insect, which can be seen on the underside of the leaves, makes the upper side speckly/silvery/white-ish.

If you could send a good image, or pump up the volume on your description, we could narrow it down better.

o
RE: lantana looks sick

Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the same thing happening to mine. There are no bugs, and it is happening to every single lantana on my property - in several beds on an acre. We have had lots of rain this season...could that be it? It looks just terrible, and has been such a terrific performer in the past, I'm just sick about it. Were you able to save it? What happened?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here