Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamimo_gw

grubs in mulched beds?

mamimo
18 years ago

Earlier this year, I prepared some beds in the backyard in anticipation of doing some fall planting. I laid down sheets of newspapers, some compost and topsoil, and covered it all with wood mulch. Some shrubs were also planted in those beds, but most of the space was uncultivated. Most of the shrubs are doing ok, some even put in some growth.

Now I'm trying to plant stuff in these beds and I'm finding big, fat, c-shaped, white grubs everywhere I dig. Even little 6-inch holes have at least 2 grubs each! They are so Disgusting!

I know we had bad japanese beetles problem earlier, but the backyard was mostly void of grass (new yard). Except for these prepared beds, the backyard consisted mostly of assorted weeds and bare soil.

So here are my questions:

1. what did these grubs in the beds eat to get so disgustingly fat? I thought they eat grass roots, which we didn't have much of a few months ago? And what are they doing in my beds? I thought they were only a lawn menace?

2. Will they chomp up the roots of my newly planted babies? Will they migrate to the newly grown grass and decimate those?

3. What should I do now? I did notice a few grubs in July and sprinkle some sevin on those beds then, but not the lawn, since there was no lawn to speak of then. Guess that didn't work ...

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Comments (9)

• jean001
    18 years ago

If the grubs are huge, the size of a pinky finger, they're helping you breakdown the heavily mulched layer you applied. They don't damage live plant material.

That said, the adults -- large green clumbsy flyers -- feed on *over-ripe* tomatoes and tree fruits.

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Those japanese beetles probably did lay their eggs in your nice soft new beds /..\

link is to gov't info on japanese beetles, which answers most of your questions, and has photos including one of the grub (larva).

I have found milky spore to be of the most help, but it does take a while to be effective (about 2 years). And you will probably always be fighting JBs since they will travel to get food. But there is a difference between spending fifteen minutes hand-picking the all critters in your garden and seeing more beetles than leaf (which is what happens when you don't try any controls).

Here is a link that might be useful: japanese beetles info +photos

• jean001
    18 years ago

Please read carefully. The .gov site (link in the above post) states in part:

"... During the feeding period, females intermittently leave plants, burrow about 3 inches into the ground--usually into turf--and lay a few eggs. ..."

Also
    "... In early spring, the grubs return to the turf and continue to feed on roots until late spring, when they change into pupae...."

Beyond that, grubs are *next to impossible* to ID from a photo on the web, or even in a book. Particularly when info re size, and distribution of the hairs on its butt, are lacking.

We forum folks are long-distance guessers when it comes to IDing one of these confusing insects -- among them grubs.

In such instances, in order to obtain a confirmed ID, one may need to take a sample to a local expert, among these are a University Extension Office, a county or state agricultural commission/department/agency, and/or a large independent garden center or farm store.

• mamimo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice and info, you guys are great! I really like that website's description of how biological controls work, eg:

"the female wasp digs into the soil, paralyzes a beetle grub by stinging, and then deposits an egg on the grub. When the egg hatches, the emerging wasp larva consumes the grub."

Go girl, chomp away! Now, that's my kind of wasp :) The BT and nematodes sounds promising too. I'll look into their availability here.

But it's a relief to know that I don't have to be out there spraying stuff just because I've got grubs. The plants all seems to be doing fine right now, but I'll start thinking about grub control for next year. Thanks very much everyone for your input!

• jean001
    18 years ago

A nagging question remains -- Are your particular grubs a kind that need to be controlled?

• mamimo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jean001, hmm, good question there. Those in my comfy mulched beds matches the description and pictures of the jap beetle grub. Assuming that's so, should I be alarmed?

• jean001
    18 years ago

The dot-gov web site explains the lifestyle and habits of Japanese beetles.

Their eggs are laid in turf. The grubs (youngsters ) eat the roots of turf. They're not interested in mulched beds.

I doubt you have any reason for concern. When you find them, stomp them, or cut them in half, or feed to birds, or something else. And have fun with your new garden bed!

• HU-128095753
    2 years ago

One of my flower beds was doing poorly all summer with the same annnuals that have flourished in years past. The plants seemed to be barely hanging on and did not grow large like before. In October, I dug through the bed and found dozens of grruubs. I’m sure they were just eating away at the roots.