Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annewaldron_gw

Interesting observation

annewaldron
18 years ago

Well I've been out of town more than I've been home lately, so my garden has had to go its own way for a while. I've had problems lately with things just not doing too well- vincas dying or looking generally poor, verbena not looking hot, mexican heather not looking hot. But the strange thing: my impatiens is going gangbusters- flowering like mad and spreading!

I STILL haven't done a soil test yet...I know, I know- I should...

But before I spend the $$, can anybody look at the above and say "Your soil must be _____, because impatiens likes it that way and others do not?" That's the one thing that stands out as a contrast in my garden...

Anne : )

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

I'd consider sun/shade conditions first. Verbenas and Mexican heather tend to be sun-loving, xeric plants, while impatiens prefer a shadier location and moister soil conditions. If these are all growing together, I'd be very surprised if they all thrived under the same light/moisture conditions.

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

Your weeds often give a clearer picture of whether your soil is acid or alkaline.

At the risk of deeply offending ( ;-) ): do you get the little daisies (Bellis perennis) growing in your lawn? If you do - they like an acid soil, moderately damp and with some shade to do really well.

Impatiens also prefer soil on the neutral to acid side and Verbenas usually look a bit manky come autumn.

• greenfingers_ni
    18 years ago

I second Vetiverts suggestion of using weeds as indicators of soil types/conditions...this is a list of weeds & other plants that I've found works for soils around my place:

Borage = Fertile
    Buttercup = Acid + lack of drainage
    Chickweed = Fertile
    Cleavers = Fertile
    Clover = Lacking Nitrogen
    Coltsfoot = Poor drainage
    Comfrey = Damp soil
    Cow Parsley = Too much nitrogen
    Dandelion = Heavy, fertile clumpy soil
    Dock = Poor damp soil
    Galinsoga = Good humus
    Horsetail (Equisetum) = Acid soil + poorly drained
    Plantain = Acid soil
    Polygonum = Heavy wet soil
    Sorrel = Acid soil, lacing calcium
    Spurge (Euphorbia) = Alkaline soil
    Stinging Nettle = Good soil
    Vetch = Lack of Nitrogen

I got this from "Organic Gardening  A Guide by Organic NZ". Edited by Valerie Freeman. It's aimed at NZ soils, but I guess as these plants can be found worldwide they grow in pretty much the same conditions. It hasn't yet been wrong!

Hope this helps,
    GF

• username_5
    18 years ago

So if my lawn gets clover (low nitrogen), dandelions (fertile, heavy soil) and plantains (acidic soil) what does this say about my soil? My lawn does get all of the above.

The soil isn't low in nitrogen as the green turf can attest, I do have clay soil, but it is under 4-6" of sandy loam topsoil so it isn't particularly heavy and it's ph is 6.7 which is only very mildly acidic, certainly not acid enough to warrant adjustment.

I don't have any of the others in the list growing so I can't comment on those, but I don't see that the 3 I do have really indicate anything other than they are common weeds in my area.