Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised bed over old walnut roots

Posted by missmessy southern Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 05 at 13:22

I would like to build a raised vegetable garden bed this spring. Unfortunately, the place I want to build it is right beside the stump of a mature walnut tree that we cut down last spring. Any advise on how to keep the juglerone from the old roots from invading/affecting my vegetables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised bed over old walnut roots

The chemical does not persist in the soil for more than a year after removal of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut Toxicity

o

I have some year old walnut boards that I wanted to use to construct raised beds for vegetables. Is there toxicity in the boards that would affect growing vegetables, or is the toxicity limited to the roots of the walnut tree?

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 12:53

Walnut boards for making a raised bed??? Please say you are joking!...give those old boards to a wood worker and I'll bet he will trade you for something else!!
But I don't know it there would be toxic stuff in the boards....but don't think so.
Linda c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here