Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Kill a Giant Bird of Paradise

Posted by
Phyla 9
(myphyla@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Oct 20, 06 at 14:52

My new home has a small back yard, but it has a bushy/tall (over 10 feet) Giant Bird of Paradise, which grows very fast. I've wanted to grow other plants in that spot, so I will have to kill that Giant BOP. Its body is so soft, so I believe I can chop off the part above ground, but I don't know how difficult to take care of its root. Please help.

Thank you for sharing! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Kill a Giant Bird of Paradise

I'm wondering how it would be if you reduced the stems to near the base and then went lower using a sharp mattock or even axe. I'm thinking of it as being in the same category as removing a full-size Phormium tenax - requiring serious effort. It does help to have a manual winch to keep tension on the plant while you chop the roots through - and to pull it clear. Sharp tools and great prudence.

If someone with a 'calf-dozer' could access your small yard, then taking it out with the front scoop could be an option. Or hauling it out for you. The mini-size machines used for working in ditches and tight corners.

You might find that there is a local company with the skills to work in constricted areas to remove plants past their acceptable size. (I hope they don't have to cart it through your house to take it away... I remember doing a job where I had to do that.) It would be worth a trawl through the Yellow Pages, perhaps.

For the roots: Personally, I'd leave it for a season to see if there was any regrowth, then put fresh soil/compost into the area and allow natural decay to work for me.

The other thing I'd be looking for would be the effect of the change in light density on the other plants in the yard, You may find some of them start into enthusiastic growth as soon as they get more light and water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here