Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to manage Equisetum hyemale L. - Horsetail?

Posted by jback1111 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 15:54

I am wanting to plant this along a fence line but keep it relatively under control? Is this possible? Ideally I would like it to be 2'-3' deep along my back fence. I don't wont it to come out much further than that. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to manage Equisetum hyemale L. - Horsetail?

You would need to use something like bamboo barrier or root barrier to contain it. Even then, I'd be leary. The roots can penetrate very deeply and spread very widely and you want to make sure the plant doesn't produce spores, which can spread its growth anywhere the wind blows.

o
RE: How to manage Equisetum hyemale L. - Horsetail?

The bamboo barrier will probably work for a couple of years (depending on your soil, moisture levels, etc), but will not be effective long term. Equisetum hyemale roots can grow much deeper than any normal bamboo barrier. After learning my lesson the hard way, I now only plant this baby in closed-bottom tubs (like the half barrel ponds available at the big box stores).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here