Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_gw

What do I do now??

Kat
18 years ago

HI, we've just moved into a new house with established gardens. I see some lillies, hydrangeas, shrubs etc...Do I chop everything down that doesn't look like a shrub? What about planting? Help!!!!

Comments (5)

• LMcCay420
    18 years ago

First identify what is in your yard then you can find out how to handle them. Get pics if you don't know what they are and post somewhere then you can ask others to view and help you to identify them. I wouldn't cut down anything until I found out what it is. It could be a very valuable plant!

At Better Homes and Garden they have a tool that will help you lay out a garden plan. Check it out (link below)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan a garden

• socks
    18 years ago

Well, you just want to pull weeds (not chop them down), but it sounds like you have some nice plants there. If you have areas which need plants, you need to consider the amount of sun and water that area will get before choosing a plant. Also consider the plant's final size.

You don't say what zone you are in, but if you are in an area where annuals could be planted now, you could do that (pansies, snapdragons, etc.). One of your best resources will be a good local nursery.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Kat, it would help to know what zone you are in...does the 4-5 indicate zone?

One frequent mistake I see new garden owners making - not taking the time to learn about their property before hurrying into projects. You need to learn what is there, how well those plants have been doing, if there are mistakes to correct. With the gardening season coming to and end many places, just tidying up may be all you want to do this year.

Don't forget to consider what looks like a shady area now may very well be full sun by late Spring or Summer, it can take some time to get to know where buildings and trees will be creating shade during different months, so take a deep breath, learn what plant material you have, move things around on paper first to avoid costly mistakes. Then, armed with knowledge, feel free to make your garden reflect you and your tastes :)

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

Within a short while the frost will do all the chopping you ever wanted.

If you've moved into a new zone you have all winter to do some learning and deciding about what you would like to grow and the image you want your home to present.

One small project you could do now and for the next little while is take photos of the garden from marked places so you can keep track of the sun patterns and what's growing where.

If the garden is well-established you can expect to find a lot of bulbs emerging for spring which will be currently underground. Until you've seen all your new garden has to offer, season by season, you can give energy to weed control, plant ID, getting to know your soil type, and the micro-climates of your garden.

Hopefully the previous owners left no hideous stashes of debris, weeds, or 'needs urgent replacement' in the garden.

One other thing to take note of is whether the present paths in the garden are the ones you actually use. If you find little trails being left across the lawn 'because it's quicker' then you may be looking at a minor remodelling task either soon or early summer.

• lindac
    18 years ago

Vetivert gives good advice....but I would like to add, find a gardner friend, or perhaps even the previous owners who can walk with you through the gardens and tall you about a lot of things.....and ask them to repeat it in the spring.
    Linda C...I would be glad to do that for you if you live near me.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!