Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duh!

Posted by mamimo z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 16:43

Now this has gotta be a mistake exclusive to newbies! I have been agonizing for a while on what to plant in a particular spot in the backyard. After many weeks of reading books, browsing catalogues, I finally decided to go with a red twig dogwood. I spent much time looking for one and finally got a little one just now. Then I happily park the car in the garage and headed out to plant my new baby. But hey! This little guy suddenly looked VERY familiar. Wait a second, isn't it the same plant as those flanking my garage door?

DUH! So I have 2 red twig dogwoods by my garage all this while (put in by builder) and I didn't even realize that! And to think I was trying to id those plants earlier this year without any success. Now I know what they are and how big they can get, I guess I'll have to dig those 2 by the garage out and find a new home for them.

On the other hand, I did get a good buy while getting my dogwood. They had a stack of 15-20 heavy duty tomato cages that are a little stuck together. The manager of the garden center said they didn't want to spend time untangling it and that I can have the whole stack for a quarter :-) Guess I'm growing tomatoes next year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duh!

hehe, that is funny about the dogwood.

o

Believe me, not exclusive to newbies -- especially if we 'impulse-buy' without our notebook. That's why DH has orders to buy no more blueberries until he checks to see if he already has one or two... or three... ah, would you believe this spring he came in with yet another plant that was the same as last fall's, and last spring's and...

o

Funny story, but you're not alone, believe me. In my beginner days, I'd come home with a plant only to find out I already had it!

You hit the jackpot with the tomato cages! Congratulations! Tomato cages aren't only for tomatoes, they're great for dahlias as well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here