Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stack59

Taunton's Yew or something else?

stack59
11 years ago

I would like a few evergreen shrubs on the NW corner of my home around the foundation. It was suggested to me to use taunton yews, however, I'm learning that yews are poisonous. I have 2 young children and 2 dogs. I can keep the kids away, but one of my dogs likes to chew on sticks, locust seed pods, and things like that. (I realize there aren't any sticks falling off this, however, she is a chewer and on the off chance she decides to take a taste...) Should I find something else to plant there? I face N and have some green velvet boxwoods on the front of the home, so I was looking for something a little different on the corner so I'm not just surrounded by boxwoods, but now I'm a bit concerned about the yews and I'm not a juniper or arbovitae fan.

A little background: I have a ranch home, red brick, with a covered porch that has endless summer hydrangeas in front of it. The boxwoods are next to the porch against the foundation, and off the NW corner is the basic plan of a serviceberry with some other perennials under it and around the outside perimeter of the bed. The yews would be going against the foundation, under the serviceberry and wrapping to the West side of the home. Thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored