Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on Hollyhock

Posted by sudimari z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 17:22

At least I think that was what I bought. I'm trying to decide whether my parents (who have mostly shade) or I (will be late morning to late afternoon FULL SUN) are better off taking this plant when I move. Although I normally keep the tags I can't find this one. (I have tags for about 6 perrineals that I killed though LOL)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on Hollyhock

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 17:33

Sun. And good air circulation!

o

Thanks jean. Sounds like it should have been further out from the fence this year...never got any blooms after the one it had when purchased, the new place is wide open so hopefully it will thrive there.

o

Hollyhocks are biennial which means they put out a "bun" of leaves the first year, flower the second year, then die. Some will come back for another year or two, but not with a great show. They also have a very deep, sensitive taproot, which is hard to transplant. I wouldn't move the plant. Buy another one in spring and start fresh.

o

Or collect the seeds: next year you'll get greenery, the following year enjoy the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here