Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Manzanita grow in New york, On Long Island?

Posted by mirrodie z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 05 at 18:39

I just came back from LA and fell in love with manzanita trees. Their foliage and bark are so pretty.

Any chance of finding out the success of getting one to grow on long Island?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Manzanita grow in New york, On Long Island?

I doubt very much that it would thrive in your location, but a good way to find out more about this west coast plant would be to contact growers. You should be able to locate numerous nurseries on the internet, and can call or email them directly. An email or phone call to Los Angeles County extension service would provide you with good information, as well. It probably won't be the first time that they have had such a question. Good luck!

o
RE: Can Manzanita grow in New york, On Long Island?

To find out how to grow them in NY, find out why they grow so well in the south/west and ask yourself if you can replicate those conditons.

If you are wondering if you can grow them in the ground the answer is no. If you are wondering if you can grow them in a pot then the answer is maybe. Growing in a container allows you to move the plant around so it is always getting the most favorable conditions.

The above is all very generic advice, I personally know nothing about growing Manzanita.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here