Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niffer_gw

climber for east side?

niffer
18 years ago

Hi All!

I need a climbing vine or shrub to go beside my entrance door. It faces east. It gets morning sun, but thats it. I'd love something beautiful and scented, but would take most anything, I'd like to hide the hydro meter and improve the general look. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• LMcCay420
    18 years ago

Boston ivy or Japanese creeper is one of the best vines for covering large masonry buildings quickly. It is a fast-growing, close-clinging vine that climbs by means of adhesive disks. The vine is tolerant to many soil types and grows in full sunlight or in shade.

English ivy is a handsome evergreen vine, climbing by attaching itself to rough surfaces by very short aerial rootlets. The rich, leathery, dark shiny leaves hold their color all winter if protected from winter sun and wind. North- or east-facing walls are the most satisfactory locations.

Virginia creeper is a native, deciduous vine that climbs both by means of tendrils with adhesive disks which adhere to brick, stone or tree trunks, and by aerial rootlets which attach only to rough surfaces. Virginia creeper will grow in a variety of soils. It is considered to be a very drought-resistant plant. It will thrive in either a sunny or shady exposure.

Climbing hydrangea: http://www.pottedliners.com/article_1.htm

Morning glory: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/7150/

Viburnums: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/hortihints/0204a.html

• username_5
    18 years ago

Beware of the ivy vines mentioned. While everything said about them is true, they are a semi permanent plant that resists being removed. They tend to degrade brick over a long period and will make short work of siding. They can pull off shutters and will actually grow over glass windows. They also like to eat gutters and downspouts.

They can be beautiful, but understand the comitment you are making if you choose them. They will cover far more than a water meter whether you want them to or not.

If you only wish to cover a water meter an evergreen shrub will fit the bill. Most are labeled for full sun, but grow well enough with morning sun too. At a previous property I had a hedge of bridal wreath spirea many years old that did fine with just morning sun and dappled sun very periodically the rest of the day (they were shaded by a 75' silver maple to the south). These are not evergreen, but they grow in thick enough to mask the meter even in the winter and their bloom in spring is well worth having them. They look best when allowed drop grow tall and droop over. A single bush can get 6' tall and just as wide once the stems begin to bend over. There are smaller varieties available now as well.

• elgrillo
    18 years ago

If you want something more or less evergreen, then go with Boston or English Ivy. As Username 5 said, over time ivy can destroy what it attaches to. It is trimmable and trainable, so if you are willing to spend a little time puttering during the growing season, you can keep it in check. It does not like much direct sun so it is very suitable for east and north sides.

In my area, Virginia Creeper is very fast-growing and invasive, so I do not want it for myself. People here let it grow wild and it pulls fences over with foliage weight. If you have a very controlled area and are willing to keep it pruned, then it would be a fast filler. It likes the sun, though, and would grow itself to where it can get the most.

In considering a deciduous shrub, find one that puts out lots of spindly stems that can hide the background even in the winter. The bridal spirea certainly fits that description. We have two large ones at the corners of out front porch, and they are beautiful in May.

I have added a link here from another forum for you to read for more indepth information that might apply to your zone.

Best wishes

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold weather gardening

• triple_b
    18 years ago

honeysuckle?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio