Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdgrowmyplants

Black Magic Elephant Ear Help

jdgrowmyplants
9 years ago

Hi,
I recently got bitten by the gardening bug and have started a container garden on my front porch. About six weeks ago I was at a nursery buying some bamboo and a guy there also gave me one of the runners from his black magic elephant ear after I said how beautiful it was. It had three leaves on it when he gave it to me.
Those leaves wilted on the way home from the nursery (it was an hour and a half drive) and I cut them off because I read somewhere that it's what you're supposed to do. Anyway, about a week ago the elephant ear started producing a leave and about three days ago the leaf started unfolding. I think it unfolded all the way at some point, but now when it starts getting dark it's folded up but then then unfolds most of the way during the day light.
Is this normal for a new leaf to do that? Is this normal for Black Magic Elephant Ears?
I've been watering the plant regularly and providing it with fertilizer. I asked this question on Garden Compass (which is a gardening app) and the person there said to use root stabilizer to help the plant. I'm planning on picking some up tomorrow, but I want to know if the behavior the plant is displaying is normal or if I'm doing something wrong. Please help?
Thank you so much for y'alls time.

Comments (3)