Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter protection advice

Posted by kristin03 z4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 21:31

Hello!

I am hoping someone can provide some advice. I began my first perennial garden this summer at our new home. This fall I went to a local nursery and fell in love with Heuchera "Peach Melba", but after planting it I noticed it is hardy only to zone 5 (we are in zone 4)!! It is doing quite well now, planted in southern exposure, about 8 feet from our home foundation. Aside from the shredded hardwood mulch we are using, should I use any extra winter protection so that it makes it through the winter? Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter protection advice

If it is 8' away from the southern portion of your home's foundation you have already done something additional. You have provided it with a microclimate. The foundation will radiate some heat into the nearby soil and being close to the foundation will minimize exposure from the nasty northerly winter winds.

I can't say if your plant will make it or not, but I think where you have it gives it a really good chance. The mulch is terrific (and I encourage it's use for winter protection), but if you think about it after the snow flies, shovel some snow on the area and try to keep some until it warms up in the early spring. Snow is a fantastic insulator.

Over the years you will notice more cold damage in years with little snow than in years with lots of snow. The moral is pile snow as insulation on plants that are bordeline hardy in your zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here