Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rosemary sticky problems

Posted by moniquest ca (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 22:10

I have these rosemary plants and this time of the yr. they get this white sticky stuff all over them and I thought this was normal until another plant close by now has gotten this-What is it-It is white and wet/sticky .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rosemary sticky problems

Is it maybe a spittle bug? I have lots of problems with them on my rosemay and basil plants. I just wash them off and use the plant anyway. They look bad, but don't do a lot of damage.

o

Since you use the word 'sticky' to describe your problem, I would guess that you have an infestation of mealybugs, not uncommon to rosemary. A population of spittlebug larvae are almost always described as 'spit'.

A picture would help with ID, however.

In the meantime, you can help manage the pest by applications of insecticidal soap, which can be used on herb plants. I get infestations of spider mites on my rosemary, which makes them sticky as well.

o

FYI, moniquest now thinks that 'spit' is the right word to describe the culprit! There's no doubt, then, that he/she has an infestation of spittlebugs. We don't usually worry too much about these little guys, as ltcollins suggests. Strong sprays of water would remove that spittle nest, making them easier prey for predaceous insects....or an application of insecticidal soap if the population is very high.

o

Thanks for the input...just spotted this a few days ago!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here