Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellieb09

Fungal or mold growth and plant death

ellieb09
11 years ago

My garden has definitely had its ups and downs this year since it's my first time growing anything besides flowers. Today's challenge has me completely stumped. My garden was doing pretty well for a while until the weather started turning cold. Because it gets foggy and there's an excessive amount of dew at night, if it does not get warm enough during the day the garden won't dry before the next night. Over the summer, this wasn't a problem; however, now this is leading to all types of growth. It started with mushrooms, which were no big deal cause they kept to the side of the planter and they're not poisonous. Then, my pumpkin plants got powdery mildew (which the local pumpkin farmer said was normal around here because the leaves get so wet at night). Now, I have this growth that is white on the bottom and a hairy yellow on top. Ever since that growth appeared (last week), I lost two of my three pumpkins, a few vines completely died overnight, and my beans are completely dying. The carrots appear to still be fine, as does the crabgrass that has (frustratingly) flourished in my garden this week.

I'm including a picture in hopes that someone can identify it and help me before I lose my last pumpkin (which I am starting to fear. I'm not sure if its yellowing with rot or yellowing to turn orange -- it's being held off the ground but so were the other two).

Comment (1)