Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to train bougainvillea?

Posted by stitchem 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 24, 06 at 16:41

I planted a fairly small fuschia/pink bougainvillea, and it's grown quite a lot, with many "branches" (not sure what to call them). How do I train it into a more tree-like appearance instead of bushing out horizontally as it is now? I'm in central FL, and have been inspired by a gorgeous one near here, which has a big single "trunk", and a huge always blooming top over an entryway. Obviously I will have to trim some branches, but how do I know which ones to cut, and when to cut, (during which season or during blooming)? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to train bougainvillea?

Probably the first part of the process is to put in a sturdy stake and tie your 'main stem' to it using plant ties that you can easily loosen as the plant develops its trunk.

Decide how tall you want the trunk to be.

It is easiest to prune or train the plant when the new shoots are very young; just gently rub them off.

Season by season pinch back the flowering part of the plant so it doesn't develop long and groping stems. (Similar to what you would do to get a good flower crop from Fuchsias.)

Each year tie in the central stem that's forming your trunk, raise the crown a little by pruning off the lower branches to leave at least a third of the plant as leaves, stems and flowering wood.

Protect it all from strong winds.

Remember to check the ties each six months to be sure that they are not starting to cut into the developing trunk.

As the plant gets higher allow the side branches which will form your spreading display to develop.

Information on developing Wisteria, climbing roses, honeysuckle as a standard with a spread flowering system is likely to give you more detail you can use specifically for your plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here