Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenfingers_ni

A tip for storing spuds...

greenfingers_ni
18 years ago

I have finally found a use for all those paper bags that stores put your purchases in....use them for storing spuds!

I have a drawer full of them (bags that is) as I couldn't bear to throw them out over the years. Always maintaining that I'd eventually put them to good use, all the while the pile has grown bigger and bigger.

I dug up my first ever harvest of spuds this morning (I'm so proud of myself!) but couldn't work out what I was going to use to store them in....plastic buckets are no good long term, paper rubbish bags are too big and stiff to use and the paper bags sold at crafts stores are too small and flimsy.

Don't know what made me remember the bags stashed away but I'm so glad I did! Perfect size, handles, strong, no problems standing upright, and come with reinforced bottoms...brilliant. Now the floor of my pantry looks like an advert for all the retail stores in town!

Of course, all you seasoned vege gardeners no doubt cottoned onto these fantastic bags ages ago! Oh well, at least I can say I'm learning, as well as adding more items to my recycling bug!

That's my brilliant flash of inspiraion for today,

GF

Comments (3)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Don't forget to cover the tops of the bags so that light doesn't reach the taters -- you don't want them to turn green. Actually, most pantries are too warm for long-term spud storage. They will keep best if stored at about 40* - and if you can find some nice dry straw, use it to layer between the taters to help prevent spoilage. I have no basement/cellar or garage, so I store the extra taters in metal [trash] cans, buried in the garden. I pile up several huge bags of leaves on top, for insulation which can be easily removed even in snow. Then I bring in just enough to use over a couple weeks, leaving the rest in their cool cans. BTW, don't use plastic cans... hungry critters will joyfully chew through plastic to get to the tubers.

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

I am awed and amazed after reading meldy's process for keeping 'taters/spuds. And shivery at the thought of all that snow!

I'm purely guessing that the hungry beasties would be rats and mice. Do they cause much damage?

I'd probably store main-crop potatoes in big jute bags in a cool shed, though it's been a while since I grew a main crop (compared with new potatoes for a treat). The mousies weren't a big problem, though.

I admire greenfingers's innovation for storing her first spuds. What do other zone 9 people do?

• greenfingers_ni
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Meldy,

Thanks for the tip on using straw between spud layers, will have to see what I can get hold of. I did put the majority of bags into our garage for storage after I initially read your post and just kept one bag in pantry for immediate use (those I speared with the fork!).

Can't imagine having to retrieve potatoes in the snow! It gives a whole new meaning to foraging doesn't it!!!! A rat has moved into my garden shed - which is why the spuds are in the garage. It would have been the ideal place to store the spuds, but I wasn't going to loose my hard work to one rodent!!!! I was always told never to use plastic buckets as they retain moisture and increase the risk for rot - but never gave a thought to them being eaten out!

GF

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting