Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic

Posted by Michael33b 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 22:30

I am new to gardening and this is my first month growing anything. Well I decided to grow some garlic because it is supposedly the easiest thing to grow. With that being said, I planted 20 cloves of garlic and all of them have sprouted, is this normal? Or should I have waited to plant them? I'm in Dacula GA zone 7B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic

This is my first year trying garlic, but since no one else has responded here goes...yes, it seems to be normal for fall sprouts. My planted cloves have them, and they were in a very useful the photo tutorial I found here on gardenweb but now can't find second time. This thread was also useful to me, since I've planted my garlic in 11 gal tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic in containers?

o
RE: Garlic

If you plant in late autumn to early winter, when there's some warmth in the soil still, then the roots will start, and pause over winter, then get going again in spring.

It's normal for them to sprout at this time, though they probably won't grow very high yet.

When February comes, or early March, you could feed them with a fertiliser quite high in nitrogen. Ask at your local garden centre.

Keep them well-weeded.

They should be ready late July or early August. Loosen the roots first then pull them up and trim off the roots. Then leave them in the sun to dry for one to two weeks - or out of any rain.

You can trim the tops back to about six inches - or plait them and hang up the bunch for kitchen use.

If you leave them in the ground then some of the bulbs are likely to flower the following year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here