Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
start a new thread!!!

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 29, 06 at 10:02

For some reason, this forum above all others I frequent seems to have problems with folks piggy-backing on to the tail-end of existing threads. When this happens, lots of valid questions get ignored because they are often overlooked at the end of months' old threads. And since many of the original posts have a request for email follow-up, this is rude to the OP to continually have errant emails arriving that have nothing to do with their original inquiry.

Please, when you have a new question, START A NEW THREAD! This is not hard to do - no more so than adding on to an existing thread - just read the instructions. It is just laziness and a breach of Internet and GW etiquette to tack on a new question at the end of an existing thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: start a new thread!!!

Not to mention the confusion later on when someone else tries to search on a topic.

And that those of us who replied first time round might not call back on a post for weeks - if ever.

If you can't think of a stunning, eyecatching heading - go for unoriginal like 'Please help me' or 'What is this?' Most of us who do respond are incurably curious - no matter how many times we've seen the same heading!!!

o

i agree that if the question is dissimilar to the original posting it deserves a new thread but often people start new threads about topics that have been discussed 1,000 times in a given forum. a search should be the first step in posting a question.

a simple solution to the email problem is to uncheck the "email replies" function. if a question was important enough to ask, its important enough for a poster to remember to come back and check for replies and thus eliminating 2-3 years of worthless drivel stuffing your inbox.

o

I'm sending this back up to the top again, because gardengal makes such a good point. Piggybacking (highjacking) results in a newbie getting less than satisfactory answers for their own questions, and that is (after all) the primary concern here.

Of all the forums, this is the one where those of us who are interested in answering questions need to be patient and understanding when those same topics being brought up again and again.

o

For me they're all different! The locations, the soils - the whole lot! That's part of the pleasure. :-D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here