Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Trees and Bulbs in Frozen Ground

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 10:15

Everyone says you can plant trees and certain bulbs until the ground freezes. Is this limit because of the difficulty of planting things in frozen soil, or is planting things in frozen soil bad for the plants? What happens if you manage to plant a tree or bulb in frozen soil? The dirt from the pot just sort of stayed together in a solid lump, and the soil I planted it in was sort of in chunks.

My concern is really that I don't have a good place to store the saplings or bulbs until Spring, and question my ability to store them properly. Will the trees survive in this condition better or worse then they would on the deck? Would the bulbs survive this treatment better or worse then they would survive in my apartment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Trees and Bulbs in Frozen Ground

As for the bulbs, I've planted them in nearly frozen ground and they've been just fine come spring. I feel they'll fare better out there than inside.

As for plants in containers, if too late to plant, you can safely overwinter in their containers if protected from repeated freezing and thawing. I usually sink the pots into the soft earth of my winter-vacant vegetable garden, or bunch them together and cover with a generous layer of leaves - shredded or not. That being said, last winter we had so much to do after Sandy ripped through, that we didn't get a variety of small trees, shrubs and herbaceous perennials into the ground or mulched and, to my surprise and delight, not a single plant perished. However, I don't recommend that practice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here