Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

WANTED: Central Jersey late spring swap thread

birdgardner
19 years ago

I am willing to organize something in Montgomery Twp or nearby. Late May or early June.

Is Saturday or Sunday better? Is Memorial Day weekend going to be too scheduled already?

Let me know.

Lisa

Comments (24)

• steve_nj
    19 years ago

Any of those times are fine for me, but I'm guessing Memorial Day will be a conflict for some.

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

actually, early May to early June.

Lisa

• minibite
    19 years ago

I'm south of you in Burlington Co. Whereabouts is Montgomery co? If it's not to far from Mercer Co. I'm there.

Janine

• stephenNJ
    19 years ago

I will probably be available and eager to attend.
    -stephen

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Did we lose the other posting??? Count me in as long as you don't pick the weekend of May 21! Either day is fine with me.

Ellen

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Lisa,

Have you decided when to do the swap? Spring fever is hitting really really big!

Ellen

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've narrowed it down to June 4 or 5. Now to find the place.

Lisa

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Lisa,

You could consider one of the parks along the canal. I'm assuming that you don't want to do it at your house. I looked up Montgomery on Mapquest and I didn't realize how close that is to me! According to Mapquest, it's only 10 minutes from my house.

Ellen

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

excellent idea, Ellen.

What do people think of the canal park at Griggstown? There's a big field, there's shade, there's picnic tables and I think grills. Portapotties only, and no running water but we could each bring a gallon or two, for handwashing and hydrating plants.

There is a little re-created canal keeper's garden, and for the non-gardening spouse and children, there is a nice running/bike path along the canal, or canoe and kayak rental.

The Colonial Park perennial and rose gardens are ten minutes away and the NJ Botanical Gardens (a fantastic nursery) is 20 minutes away.

Lisa

• stephenNJ
    19 years ago

I know where that is and it sounds great , I'm wondering how difficult that would be to find for a non-local person . Either way I'm in!
    -stephen

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

what is Mapquest for?

it shouldn't be too bad for the non-locals I hope - it is only one road away from any of routes 206, 518, 514, or 27.

It is located between the canal and the Millstone river, or alternatively, between Canal and River Roads, at Griggstown.

How bad can that be? (well, once I had a friend try to get to Somerset and end up in Staten Island... but that was before Mapquest)

Anyone still has trouble with the directions, please email me and I will send you a map.

Lisa

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Lisa,

I don't think that NJ Botanical Gardens is open this year. :( Someone went by and it looks empty. It should be in full production right now. I think the park in griggstown would be nice and long as it's not too wet out.

Ellen

• steve_nj
    19 years ago

What road is the park on and what is the nearest cross street?

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Canal Park at Griggstown -

from 514 in Hillsborough take River Road south , turn left at the river bridge in Griggstown

from 518 at the traffic light in Rocky Hill take Canal Road north and turn left at the canal bridge in Griggstown

from 206 in Montgomery take Belle Mead-Griggstown Road east (you take the right at the first stop sign, and then bear left again around the church - this does not always show on the maps), left at River Road, and right across the river bridge

from 27 in Franklin Twp, take 632 west, turn left on Canal Road, and right across the canal bridge.

and oh, rats rats rats rats, about NJBG.

Lisa

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Lisa,

For this swap, we may want to advise everyone to bring their own chair. I don't think that there's any place where there's a bunch of picnic tables like last year. They're more spread out aren't they.

Ellen

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will be driving by Tuesday and will check it out. I can also call the state park people and ask about possibly reserving space, or if a large group would be using the space,
    and if it would be possible to temporarily cluster tables.

Please realize that this is not set in stone, and if anyone has a better spot in mind, tell us about it!

Lisa

• amy_nj6
    19 years ago

That's a great spot - I drive past it each work day.

One caution: if it rains a lot, as it has this past weekend, the area floods and the road is closed. While it has poured buckets the last two Memorial Day weekends, I think the first week in June is usually a bit better. Fingers are crossed.

I must say I'm a major lurker and I look forward to meeting all of you whose posting I've been reading so avidly and learned so much from these past two years. I hope I don't get star-struck.

Once question: May I exchange brownies for plants? Most of the plants in my small garden aren't well enough established for me to divide -- except that Rudbeckia "Herbstsonne."

Cheers

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was thinking that, when I couldn't check out the site last Tuesday because the road was gated off, for the flooding. We at least need a backup site, if not a different site. I'll cruise the area tomorrow.

Amy, you are welcome even without plants but you might think about starting something interesting and fast-growing from seed, possibly something a little unusual? Natives, herbs, and butterfly plants would all be good choices.

Lisa

• inguvap
    19 years ago

Count me in. I would like to attend the swap. Thanks
    Padma.

• MLcom
    19 years ago

Hi count me in for a swap in south jersy and have a selection of different sweet peppers and tomato seedlings to trade. Need dates and directions for swap meet.

How many plants should we bring? Planned on 3 to 4 inch pots or if get late milk carton size ones.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Lisa,

How about Colonial Park as a backup. It's very close to the canal. Last time I was there, they had a really nice rose garden that might be nice to see around the time of the swap.

Mlcom, the last time we did a swap, we just all brought what we had to swap. Everyone came back with something. The more the merrier.

Ellen

• tiarella
    18 years ago

If you have a date and place I would be interested in attending a plant swap. I have many perennials and some natives too. I live near New Brunswick and Griggstown isn't that far away but I'm not familiar with the area but I am a frequent user of Mapquest!

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

Is there a definite date and location? I prefer June 5th. I'll bring variegated Eupatorium, hardy Cestrum, perennial Spilanthes, Clerodendron bungei, as well as others. I'll bring a few hardy palms.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Lisa,

Haven't heard from you in a while, are you still going to host this or do you need some help in organizing one?

Ellen