Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

WANTED: Garden Visit/Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 5, 2007

steve_nj
17 years ago

The garden has done well over the winter with only minor leafburn, in spite of unusual weather patterns and 9 degrees for the low.

Garden includes woodies, broadleaved evergreens, perennials, variegates, colocasias, palms, etc. There should be flowers on azaleas, late Camellias, some bulbs, etc. Schedule: Arrive 10 AM (unload in driveway and park across road), Potluck at 12 noon, plant swap at 1 PM. Interest and time permitting, there will be a side trip to visit nearby plantings of palms, perennials, and woodies on public property. Please Email me for directions.

Comments (15)

• wardda
    17 years ago

I will certainly try to make it and bring a few of those hummingbird plants I love to grow and hopefully a few other things. I'll pass the offer along to a few who aren't particularly internet savy.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

It is the same day as Frelinghuysen's plant sale but I can try to get my hours on another day. I am interested and would like to bring a friend who is just getting into gardening. I will let her trade with my plants.

• marozeckinj
    17 years ago

Thank you for the tour today in the rain and sleet. I will try to get out of the golf tournament early. Would love to see your "yard" in the Spring! Thanks so much for the cuttings!!

If you have not seen Steve's garden it is well worth the trip. It is more like an arboretum than some arboretums I have been too.

• birdgardner
    16 years ago

I hope to make it - there's a state EMT exam around then that hasn't been scheduled yet, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Trying to think what I can bring that's not common as dirt - Sarcococca humilis - dwarf sweet box - smells like linden flowers.
    Lonicera fragrantissima - very early blooming, kind of lemony scent.
    Slate purple hellebore seedlings.
    Humulus aureus, golden hops
    Lamium Beedhams White - chartreuse leaved
    Maybe some Louisiana irises - have to see how they're multiplying.
    Rose Felicite Parmentier
    Maybe some wintersweet, Chimonanthus praecox
    Fanny's Aster, very late blooming, late Oct.-Nov.

Ward, I'd love some hummingbird plants - although if I can't make it to Steve's I'll probably see you at Palmyra on the 6th - that's still on?

• wardda
    16 years ago

Yes, that is still on and it hope to see you there, but this is about Steve's pot luck, anyone who hasn't been to his place doesn't know what they are missing - he and Melody have created a wonder.

• bmerboy98
    16 years ago

hi tell me more aboput this
    thanks
    B

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

A few people wanted kerria flora plena last time I went (I had brought new guinnea). I can bring some starts.
    Should I bring more helleborus foetidus?
    Otherwise, with this cold weather, I am not sure what will be showing that is dividable. At this rate, the hosta will still be dormant.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Steve,
    Do you have any expectation as to how many intend to come? I am wondering how much to try and pot up.

• Datdog
    16 years ago

Steve & Melody- I'll be there and this time I'm going to bring wine with me as well as plants & food ;) Your garden is too lovely not to stroll though it without a glass of wine. Of course as large as your garden is I'll need to carry the bottle with me while walking. *kidding* sort of

Kristi

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

You're not kidding...

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can always use bamboo stems for stakes if anyone has a bamboo patch with dried material.
    Loretta-Whatever you bring is fine. We'll have cheese and crackers to go with Kristi's wine!

Torreya taxifolia

Rhodea japonica-variegated

• becca318
    16 years ago

Sounds great, where is this plant swap?

• becca318
    16 years ago

Oh wait, I just looked at Steves page, Burlington County. It's a bit too far for me to travel, not to mention I'd surely get lost. I'm in Northern NJ, right near the NY state border.
    Aw shucks...

• weedwoman
    16 years ago

I thought I was working but the job fell through, so I think I'll be there. Last year was delightful. Anybody want some Autumn crocuses? Or European Ginger? I don't have much else to trade right now. Could you send me directions again, Steve?

WW

• njmastergardener
    16 years ago

HI Steve and Melody, I'm sorry I missed you plant gathering this spring. It was a awesome place to visit and so much to learn from.
    I'd love to stop by and visit soon to see what blooms in summer. I have oodles of heirloom tomato plants that need homes also.
    Happy Gardening
    Jeannie
    new email njmastergardener@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm