Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Garden Visit/Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 5, 2007

Posted by steve_nj 7-a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 21:50

The garden has done well over the winter with only minor leafburn, in spite of unusual weather patterns and 9 degrees for the low.
Garden includes woodies, broadleaved evergreens, perennials, variegates, colocasias, palms, etc. There should be flowers on azaleas, late Camellias, some bulbs, etc. Schedule: Arrive 10 AM (unload in driveway and park across road), Potluck at 12 noon, plant swap at 1 PM. Interest and time permitting, there will be a side trip to visit nearby plantings of palms, perennials, and woodies on public property. Please Email me for directions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Garden Visit/Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 5, 2007

I will certainly try to make it and bring a few of those hummingbird plants I love to grow and hopefully a few other things. I'll pass the offer along to a few who aren't particularly internet savy.

o

It is the same day as Frelinghuysen's plant sale but I can try to get my hours on another day. I am interested and would like to bring a friend who is just getting into gardening. I will let her trade with my plants.

o

Thank you for the tour today in the rain and sleet. I will try to get out of the golf tournament early. Would love to see your "yard" in the Spring! Thanks so much for the cuttings!!

If you have not seen Steve's garden it is well worth the trip. It is more like an arboretum than some arboretums I have been too.

o

I hope to make it - there's a state EMT exam around then that hasn't been scheduled yet, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Trying to think what I can bring that's not common as dirt - Sarcococca humilis - dwarf sweet box - smells like linden flowers.
Lonicera fragrantissima - very early blooming, kind of lemony scent.
Slate purple hellebore seedlings.
Humulus aureus, golden hops
Lamium Beedhams White - chartreuse leaved
Maybe some Louisiana irises - have to see how they're multiplying.
Rose Felicite Parmentier
Maybe some wintersweet, Chimonanthus praecox
Fanny's Aster, very late blooming, late Oct.-Nov.

Ward, I'd love some hummingbird plants - although if I can't make it to Steve's I'll probably see you at Palmyra on the 6th - that's still on?

o

Yes, that is still on and it hope to see you there, but this is about Steve's pot luck, anyone who hasn't been to his place doesn't know what they are missing - he and Melody have created a wonder.

o

hi tell me more aboput this
thanks
B

o

A few people wanted kerria flora plena last time I went (I had brought new guinnea). I can bring some starts.
Should I bring more helleborus foetidus?
Otherwise, with this cold weather, I am not sure what will be showing that is dividable. At this rate, the hosta will still be dormant.

o

Steve,
Do you have any expectation as to how many intend to come? I am wondering how much to try and pot up.

o

Steve & Melody- I'll be there and this time I'm going to bring wine with me as well as plants & food ;) Your garden is too lovely not to stroll though it without a glass of wine. Of course as large as your garden is I'll need to carry the bottle with me while walking. *kidding* sort of

Kristi

o

You're not kidding...

o
If anyone has dry bamboo stems they can harvest

I can always use bamboo stems for stakes if anyone has a bamboo patch with dried material.
Loretta-Whatever you bring is fine. We'll have cheese and crackers to go with Kristi's wine!

Torreya taxifolia
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Rhodea japonica-variegated
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Sounds great, where is this plant swap?

o
Oh Poo

Oh wait, I just looked at Steves page, Burlington County. It's a bit too far for me to travel, not to mention I'd surely get lost. I'm in Northern NJ, right near the NY state border.
Aw shucks...

o

I thought I was working but the job fell through, so I think I'll be there. Last year was delightful. Anybody want some Autumn crocuses? Or European Ginger? I don't have much else to trade right now. Could you send me directions again, Steve?

WW

o

HI Steve and Melody, I'm sorry I missed you plant gathering this spring. It was a awesome place to visit and so much to learn from.
I'd love to stop by and visit soon to see what blooms in summer. I have oodles of heirloom tomato plants that need homes also.
Happy Gardening
Jeannie
new email njmastergardener@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from New Jersey are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here