Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

WANTED: N.J. Plant Swap/Garden Visit/Potluck-May 7, 2006

steve_nj
18 years ago

The plant swap/garden visit/potluck will be on Sunday May 7th starting at 12 noon. The garden is in western Burlington County, N.J. and includes a diversity of plant material. I'm looking forward to an afternoon of plant swapping, good food, and good plant talk. Please see my page and email me for directions.

Comments (20)

• birdgardner
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Steve, I hope I can go - missed it last year. I don't know yet what I can bring - I'll have to take inventory as things come up.

Lisa

• loris
    18 years ago

Steve,

I think I'll be able to go, and I'm looking forward to it!

Lori

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

Hi Steve

I'll put it on my calendar. Hope you enjoyed this mild winter!

Annie

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Hi Steve!

I'll be coming. I let Judy know about the swap too. I think she & I will be coming together. I'm going to look through my cannas to see what survived over the winter. are you interested?

Ellen

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm interested in Cannas.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

I'LL BE THERE AND MAYBE I'LL BRING A FRIEND. Thanks for hosting again, Steve. I love your arboretum! Your "My Page" link isn't working -- can you email direction? You know my addy. I got lost last time. Thanks!

• inguvap
    18 years ago

Steve, I am interested in it too. I have a lot of seedlings of perennials (winter sown) and some annuals, but I am not sure how big are they going be. I can make a list and post it here this evening. I also have a lot of scarlet bee balm and some creeping thyme. I can't think of any thing else I could bring. Please send me the directions. Also, should I bring any thing to eat (since you mentioned that it is a potluck)
    Thank you.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

Well, here's my wish list... all z6; I will post what I have to trade later. I'll also bring 'good eats' to the gathering.

bamboo -- growing to approx 20', upright, for sun; perhaps yellow groove, water bamboo, or beautiful bamboo
    Fargesia nitida
    Garrya elliptica 'Evie'
    skimmia
    varigated ivy
    english ivy
    bleeding heart
    Wintergreen
    wintercreeper
    winterberry
    Fragrant Sarcococca
    Lenten Rose Royal Heritage
    Hamamelis (witch hazel)-- any yellow cultivar
    Kalmia / mountain laurel
    LEUCOTHOE 'RAINBOW'
    MAGNOLIA grandiflora 'Kay Paris'
    MAHONIA bealei
    MAHONIA charity
    HEUCHERA americana 'Green Spice'
    HEUCHERA villosa 'Caramel'
    CAMELLIA 'April Dawn' April Snow 'April Rose' "Frost Queen" ÂWinterÂs Waterlily or 'WinterÂs Rose'
    Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis'
    Taxus baccata 'Amersfoort'
    Taxus baccata 'Highjinks'
    Thuja plicata 'Holly Turner'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist'
    Xanthocyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'
    Blue prince holly
    ILEX crenata 'Green Dragon'
    ILEX crenata 'Sky Pencil'
    Ilex (Holly) » glabra 'Princeton's Compact'
    Spring Grove Western Arborvitae
    Taxus baccata 'Bean Pole'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Spiralis'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Teddy' DWARF ARBORVITAE
    Thuja occidentalis 'Snow Tip' OR ÂSnow QueenÂ
    euonymus
    DAPHNE ODORA MARGINATA
    Rohdea japonica
    Rhodadendron (evergreen)
    Azalea (evergreen)
    Osmanthus Goshiki
    Russian sage
    Astilbe pink lightning
    Vinca
    Varigated liriope
    FICUS pumila (Creeping Fig)
    Mazus reptans
    AJUGA (Carpet Bugleweed)
    Varigated pachysandra
    DIANTHUS
    Lavendar
    Viburum newport
    Aucuba
    Young's Weeping Birch
    berberis
    Foamy Bells Sunspot
    Tiarella Candy Striper
    Brunnera Jack Frost
    Tricyrtis - Sinonome

phew... I think that covers it for this season at least:-)

• dananj
    18 years ago

Steve, I will be there. I hated to miss it last year, but I knew I was moving and couldn't use the plants anyway. But I'd love to see your garden again and perhaps you all will have pity on me (new garden with nothing to share) and throw any extras my way. I am looking for shade loving plants, particularly hosta and also herbs for my one sunny area. And if there are no extras, I know I will be inspired by your garden and enjoy meeting with everyone.
    Please e-mail directions, I forget how to get there.
    Dana

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been propagating and potting up like mad. I'll have Xanthorrhiza simplicissima, variegated Virginia Creeper, Cestrum parquii, Spilanthes sp., Buddleia lindleyana, Trachelospermum asiaticum 'Red Top', a few Trachycarpus, a few Sabal minor, Schizophragma 'Moonlight' and S. 'Brookside Littleleaf', Hydrangea anomala petiolaris, maybe some white top sedge, and various others. There are also plenty of things in the ground begging to be divided. There will be plenty of extras. Bring bags.

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Steve, are you interested in Beedhams White lamium, chartreuse leaf with a silver blaze and white flowers? I thought it would look good in some of your woodland beds. It stays short and doesn't smother, and is a reasonable not galloping spreader.

Looking forward to the trachelospermum and I hope I can have a piece of your yellow lonicera sempervirens.

I'll be bringing

in quantity

seedlings from slate purple hellebore
    random hellebore seedlings
    Spanish bluebells

lesser quantities of -

dicliptera suberecta
    mandevilla laxa seedlings
    brugmansia sanguinea
    hesperaloe parviflora seedlings
    passiflora ligularis seedlings
    stipa tenuissima seedlings
    hedychium, white butterfly ginger
    violet Fair Oaks, scented, pale lavender
    random hummingbird cannas
    crocosmia called Fire on the Mountain, prob. masonorum
    pink roses, names lost
    Virginia bluebells if going dormant by then

I'm hoping for:
    brugmansia Charles Grimaldi or Dr. Seuss,
    hedychium coccineum (Tara),
    ostrich and cinnamon ferns,
    hummingbird salvias,
    roses Sombreuil and Buff Beauty,
    spicebush, redbud,
    phyllostachys nuda,
    phlox stolonifera and divaricata
    tiarellas

Lisa

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll have ostrich fern, phlox for the digging. I have layers of L. sempervirens, but I don't know which color. You can try cuttings. I'd be interested in hedychium, white butterfly ginger and Beedham's White lamium. I have several other Hedychium; I keep pieces in pots as insurance and I'll check for H. coccineum.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

I'll be bringing potted buttercup squash, lavendar, sage (herb), rosemary (herb), baby's breathe, poppys, hydrangea, and various vegetable seed packets, and some containers for planting.

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Steve,

I've just gone though my cannas to see what I lost and what survived, I'll be emailing you with a list. I know that I have some tropicanna and bengal tiger. Are you looking for pots again this year? I can bring some more for you. I haven't put together my list of haves yet. How about Lamium - pretty variegated kind, but unnamed. I haven't seen it bloom yet so I don't know the colors yet.

Ellen

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Hi Steve, and everyone else. I'd love to come to the swap, but am completely new at this type of event, though I've been gardening for a while. May I ask for a few tips and guidelines?

Thanks very much!

Diane in Monmouth County

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The swap is casual and there are plenty of plants. Bring a food item for the potluck and a few plants, pots, supplies, etc. if you have extras. Plan on arriving by noon, or as early as 10 AM if you wish. Interest permitting, there will be a side trip to visit nearby public plantings which include hardy palms. Although the camellias will be mostly finished, many other things will be in leaf, bud, and bloom.

• loris
    17 years ago

Since people will probably want them, I'll bring all Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides) divisions and
    Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) volunteers that I can. So far I've only seen 2 spicebushes, but I'm hoping I'll come across more.

Please let me know about the other plants though, since I may or may not bring enough for you otherwise (Lisa, Ellen, and sugar_magnolia, I'll bring the plants you mentioned for yourselves--creeping phlox , Japanese maples, and evergreen azaleas respectively). You dont need to reply for those unless youre not interested). Dana, let me know what youre interested in. (in case itll make you feel better, if you used to use the name danaNJ, Im still enjoying some of the plants you gave me 2 summers ago! Go ahead though, even if you're not.)

Will bring if requested:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Blue Cardinal Flower aka Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica)
    - swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)- could bring 1 or 2.
    - butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)- could bring 1 small plant
    - My same mystery hosta with medium green leaves with light variegation in middle
    - Rose 'Tamara'
    - hosta Undulata (Mediovariegata)
    - garden phlox
    - A low growing yew (Taxus)
    - creeping phlox (Phlox stolonifera)
    - ferns (New York fern? lady fern?), get to be about a foot or 2 tall. Light green, graceful looking.

Winter Sowing results. I will bring if requested (first year I tried this. All look the same. I apologize in advance if Im giving you weeds):
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Red Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
    - Monkey Flower (I think. Mimulus ringens or Mimulus alatus?)

The following 2 plants grow fairly rampant for me:
    - spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana)
    - Sedum Autumn Joy

Volunteers. (For azalea and blackhaw, dont know yet if they have their own roots)
    - azalea - mother plant about 3' H x 4' W, white flowers
    - Japanese Maple
    - Blackhaw (I think. Viburnum lentago)

Plants and/or seeds I'd like
    - Joe-Pye Weed (Eupatorium dubium, E. fistulosum or E. purpureum)
    - barren strawberry (Waldsteinia fragarioides)
    - just about anything native I don't have, especially for moist shade

• dananj
    17 years ago

Lori,
    Same Dana, new garden. I am so glad to hear that my plants did well for you.
    I am interested in all ferns and hostas (lots of shade in new garden). Also both Cardinal Flowers, Monkey Flower, spiderwort (was this from me-intense blue?) and sedum.
    Darn. I had some barren strawberry I got from Steve 3 years ago in my old garden. Oh, well.
    Looking forward to seeing you again,

Dana

• loris
    17 years ago

Dana,

The spiderwort I have is just what came with the house. Think it's straight species Tradescantia virginiana, but I'm not positive. The flowers are a fairly deep purple. When I hadn't heard anything yet on Sunday, and DH was eager to clear up the area where I had my wintersowing I said ok, so the red cardinal flower and monkey flower will be very skimpy (but hopefully I'll still be able to bring something that'll grow into something).

See you Saturday!

Lori

• loris
    17 years ago

Meant to write "See you Sunday!"
    Don't want to confuse anyone about the day.

Lori

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus