Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

WANTED: swap sign-up june 4 griggstown canal park

birdgardner
18 years ago

Hi everybody - sorry I haven't been posting lately - dealing with health problems and family troubles - things are going somewhat better now, and I am looking forward to the swap - hope you haven't given up on it.

We didn't set a time - does 11:30 - 1:30 sound good?

The park service says nothing else is scheduled there at that time - they don't schedule or reserve anyway. They say there are grills. I didn't see any - if we want hamburgers some one will have to bring a grill.

I will bring a couple sawhorses and some boards and extra lawn chairs - the tables are mostly far apart and some are chained to the ground. There are two together. You might want to bring a lawn chair if you can, as well as a jug of water.

I will bring tomato, corn and black bean salad, haven't done the plant inventory yet.

Please post - let us know if you are definitely coming, and what you can bring!

Lisa

Comments (30)

• loris
    18 years ago

Lisa, sorry to hear about your rough patch. Glad things are going a bit better now.

I plan on going to swap. I'm pretty flexible about the time, so what you suggested is fine for me.

I'll give food info later. Here's the plant info:

I'll bring 3 pots, each containing a division of Christmas Fern (Polystichum acrostichoides).

I don't have a good feeling about what I did in my attempt to bring trout lilies (Erythronium americanum), but I'll bring what look like 3 pots with nothing but soil in them (trout lilies are ephemerals, but these disappeared earlier than the ones still in the ground). I'm hoping they'll sprout in spring, but don't really know.

Not sure what else I'll bring, but I'm hoping people will look at my exchange list and let me know what looks interesting to them. Otherwise I'll just see what inspires me before the swap.

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I'll be there. Please see my exchange list.

• kdjoergensen
    18 years ago

Sorry guys.. I would have loved to come, but that day my daughter got a chance to participate in an airballoon ride at a small airport.
    Kenneth

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I am sorry as well. My niece is having a graduation that day.

• tiarella
    18 years ago

I would love to attend if only I knew how to get there from here. Is there a specific name for the park and a street address that I could look up on MAPQUEST? Please see my plant list on My Page.

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

if anyone needs directions check the other thread on this. if you still need help, email me. and let's hope it doesn't rain.

Lisa

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I emailed everyone from the previous thread who was interested - I'm trying to get a count now.

Lisa

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa, I will try to make it. I could bring some obedient flower, agastache , Let me know where it is . Sarah

• ellenh
    18 years ago

This last post confused me - how is it from birdgardner? Anyways, I believe that I'll be able to go.

Ellen

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had to post Sarah's message because she can't post here - only GWers registered in NJ can. sorry about the confusion.

Ellen, I'll put you down as a probable. Let me know when you know for sure.

Plant list:
    lamium Beedham's White, chartreuse leaves, silver blaze
    agastache rugosa
    cutleaf staghorn sumac
    spanish bluebells
    musk strawberry Profumata
    monarda Blue stocking

in more limited quantity:
    Texas star hibiscus (coccinea)
    Red Shield hibiscus
    brugmansia sanguinea
    dicliptera suberecta
    some old pink roses

if any one is interested in coneflower let me know - I have a ton

Lisa

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa,

From your list I'd love
    lamium Beedham's White, chartreuse leaves, silver blaze
    agastache rugosa
    cutleaf staghorn sumac
    spanish bluebells
    musk strawberry Profumata
    monarda Blue stocking
    some old pink roses

I'll be posting my have list later.

Thanks,

Ellen

• loris
    18 years ago

I'll bring chicken wings.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

I have the following available for trading

Irises - mixed colors
    Hosta - golden tiara
    Coreopsis - pink
    Rose Campion - magenta
    Creeping phlox - variety of colors
    Geranium - hardy - yoshino
    Haworthia - cuttings
    Creeping - various named
    Hen and Chicks - unnamed
    Monarda red & pink
    Lady's Mantle
    Raspberries - Heritage, Brandywine, & Fall gold mixed
    Daylilies - double orange
    Daffodils - heirloom
    Tithonia
    Rock Cress

I will be bringing some or all of the above listed. If you are particularly interested in something, let me know so that I can be sure to bring it.

I also have named daylilies and named cannas to trade for named daylilies, named irises, or named hostas only. If you are looking to do a trade for some of these contact me directly for a list of what I have.

Ellen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Oh and I also have strawberries, white irises, lamb's ear, and candy tuft (iberis) to bring for the swap.

Ellen

• loris
    18 years ago

Tiarella, IÂm interested in Lobelia cardinalis
    Steve, IÂm interested in Bignonia capreolata
    Lisa, IÂm interested in cutleaf staghorn sumac

-- Lori

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

also have some tall light blue Siberian irises that came misnamed - maybe Flight of Butterflies, pretty anyway.

Please email me if you want my cellphone number, in case you might need to be guided in.

Lisa

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To all who were planning (maybe) on coming to the swap - my grandmother died (her illness being one of the troubles I was dealing with) and her funeral is Saturday, so I won't be making the swap. If someone wants to step forward and take over, either running it as scheduled, or setting a new date, that's fine with me. Otherwise, it would be best to regard this swap as cancelled. I hope to see you at another swap later this year.

Lisa

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

I was still planning on showing up if we can confirm a few people now.I could show up at 11 or 11:30.I have lotsa good stuff to trade like last year.
    -stephen

• loris
    18 years ago

I'll drive over if we agree this is still happening. -- Lori

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I'll be there.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

I really want to be there and think that I'll be able to go. If anyone wants directions, email me. DH still hasn't given me an answer for this weekend, but if we're going camping instead, he's not giving me enough time to pack!

Steve_NJ - I really want one of your Sabal Minors I believe that McCurtain is the most cold hardy isn't it?
    I'd also love a cornus florida pendula. I know there's lots of stuff I'd like of yours but I don't want to get greedy. See if there's anything of mine that you'd like.

Ellen

• loris
    18 years ago

Would anyone be willing to email me a telephone # to use in case I have trouble finding the place? (if they know the area even better, but might be useful even just to find where in the park people are). Thanks. -- Lori

• tiarella
    18 years ago

I'm game to show up at 11 AM I have all these plants to give away otherwise. Friends and family run the other way when they know I have plants to give away. Just kidding! One year I put out a tray at a time in front of my house with a sign free plants. I met some interesting people and nobody could believe they were free.

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

I was planning bringing a couple starter pots of the following :
    native Columbine
    Lineria purplea
    great blue Lobelia
    red Lobelia cardinalflower
    Datura innoxia (white devil's trumpet)
    Foxgloves (creamy white)
    Annise Hyssop
    Salvia coccinea (lady in red)
    Salvia coccinea (coral nymph)
    Crocosmia Lucifer
    Liatris
    Cardinal Climber
    Spiderflower
    Canna 'Robert Kemp'
    Canna 'India Prince'
    All of my Perennials are first year seedlings or 2nd year plants.
    I will also bring Kniphofia uvaria for any other Kniphofia but these are all booming now.I could also bring Black & Blue Salvia for something very special. I have a small Viburnum lentago layered over the winter for something similar , looking for Spicebush,or native Viburnums or a good berrying native bush. I will bring the Viburnum if someone requests it.
    I am not 100% sure of the exact location in the park but from what I remember it's not a large park.I will email Ellen for her directions.Should we meet near the Canoe rental area?
    -stephen

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

Ooops,I meant to say I have Viburnum nudum (Possomhaw Viburnum) on my previous thread.I also have a few diff. ferns I could divide if anyone is interested.
    -stephen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

The best park I know of in this area is a nice shady park on Blackwell's mill rd between River road and Canal road. There's also a nice little lock keeper's garden on the corner of Blackwell's mill rd & Canal Rd. They have a nice sized parking area there and a number of picnic tables there. It would be my suggestion to meet there.

I don't know if we can move picnic tables, so it would be a good idea to bring chairs and maybe a table to put your plants on.

Any objections?

Email me if you need directions.

Ellen

PS - I'm definitely coming!!!

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

I will be there at Ellen's location. 11 am on intersection of Canal Rd & Blackwell's Mills.
    -stephen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Steve,

I sent you a couple of emails, just wanted to get sure that you got them.

Ellen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Don't forget to bring a dish to the swap.

I'm going to bring drinks, ice, cups, plates, napkins & what utensils I have. I may not have enough utensils.

Ellen

• loris
    18 years ago

Ellen, I'll bring 4 sets of plastic knives and forks. If you think we still need more utensils, let me know the type and number, and I'll see what I have. -- Lori

Sponsored