Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Additional info on swap/ garden visit/potluck Sunday May

Posted by steve_nj 7-a (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 23:33

Feel free to arrive as early as 10 AM. Please unload car in driveway and park on Sedgwick Lane. Potluck will be at noon. Bring a chair and plastic bags (for dig-ups). There will be plenty of potted plants also. I'm looking forward to it! Blooming as of today:
azaleas, late camellias, tulips, daffs, Choisya ternata(fragrant!) Daphne 'Carol Mackie'. various bleeding hearts, Dicentra, virginia bluebells, Trillium, etc. Bletilla orchids have buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
should have said May 7th. no msg.

no message.

o
RE: WANTED: Additional info on swap/ garden visit/potluck Sunday

Yes, I would like to attend as well. I have heard so much about your garden.

pontesmanny

o

pontesmanny -- steve doesn't just have a garden, he has an arboretum (sp). i was treated to a private tour a few weeks ago... one could spend the better part of a day to see all there is to see. what a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Unfortuntately I will not be able to make it tomorrow as originally planned. My daughter is coming home from university after a long absence. She had planned on coming home late Monday but as it turns out, she was able to reschedule an exam so she can make it home earlier. I would bring her to the swap but her BF will be with her and he'd be totally bored -- I think gardening is far from the interests of a 22-yr old Naval officer:-) Oh, and I potted up so many things which will now probably have to go back into my garden. Ce la vie!

I'm sorry to have to miss the event but I encourage everyone to go. I had a lovely time last year at the Fall swap.

Cheryl

o

I'm a little uncertain about tomorrow, my husband has the day off but will have to work Mother's Day, so we might celebrate a day early ... of course, what better way than a plant swap ... but that would leave the children out. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I cleaned up my potting bench area today and confirmed I have an embarrassment of pots, mostly the one-gallon size; I'll bring some of those and some smaller ones if I can attend. (They aren't washed, though ... is that ok?)

As for plants, I don't have a lot, but do have, and will bring:

Dicentra - fernleaf, 'Luxuriant' I think, but I got the mama plant at least 10 years ago so am fuzzy on the variety.
Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' (two small rooted starts)
Rose - Tradescant (two small well-rooted & potted cuttings)
Daylily 'Rosy Returns' (two divisions)
Perennial Forget-Me-Not 'Blue Bird'
Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'

I also have seedlings of hollyhock 'Nigra', amaranthus (love-lies-bleeding), malva (Zebrina, if I remember correctly)

Also have just-started cuttings of tri-color sage and Spanish lavender.

If anyone is interested, and I know I'm late posting this, I can bring fresh cuttings of Montauk daisy, Eastern redbud, pink crane's bill geranium, maybe a couple each of Russian sage and rainbow leucothoe. I have lots of the common forsythia babies if anyone is interested. It's about time to cut back the perennial baby's breath - has anyone had success rooting these ... I could bring some.

All this seems so mundane compared to some of the things I saw listed ... but they have been dependable for me.

I'll bring a tossed green salad for the pot-luck, if that doesn't seem too healthy and ... could anyone use a bag or two of starter fertilizer for the lawn? I just discovered about 8 bags of lawn fertilizers in the garden shed and we'll never use all that!

Looks like tomorrow's weather will be perfect - have a great time! If I don't make it, I'll catch the next one.

Diane

o

I can always use containers.

o

Diane,
I know I'm late in answering you but I'd love some eastern redbud. I had one, but DH ran it over by mistake :( Oh and pink geranium would be nice too.

Ellen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from New Jersey are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here