Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

WANTED: Additional info on swap/ garden visit/potluck Sunday May

steve_nj
17 years ago

Feel free to arrive as early as 10 AM. Please unload car in driveway and park on Sedgwick Lane. Potluck will be at noon. Bring a chair and plastic bags (for dig-ups). There will be plenty of potted plants also. I'm looking forward to it! Blooming as of today:

azaleas, late camellias, tulips, daffs, Choisya ternata(fragrant!) Daphne 'Carol Mackie'. various bleeding hearts, Dicentra, virginia bluebells, Trillium, etc. Bletilla orchids have buds.

Comments (6)

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

no message.

• pontesmanny
    17 years ago

Yes, I would like to attend as well. I have heard so much about your garden.

pontesmanny

• sugar_magnolia
    17 years ago

pontesmanny -- steve doesn't just have a garden, he has an arboretum (sp). i was treated to a private tour a few weeks ago... one could spend the better part of a day to see all there is to see. what a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Unfortuntately I will not be able to make it tomorrow as originally planned. My daughter is coming home from university after a long absence. She had planned on coming home late Monday but as it turns out, she was able to reschedule an exam so she can make it home earlier. I would bring her to the swap but her BF will be with her and he'd be totally bored -- I think gardening is far from the interests of a 22-yr old Naval officer:-) Oh, and I potted up so many things which will now probably have to go back into my garden. Ce la vie!

I'm sorry to have to miss the event but I encourage everyone to go. I had a lovely time last year at the Fall swap.

Cheryl

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

I'm a little uncertain about tomorrow, my husband has the day off but will have to work Mother's Day, so we might celebrate a day early ... of course, what better way than a plant swap ... but that would leave the children out. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I cleaned up my potting bench area today and confirmed I have an embarrassment of pots, mostly the one-gallon size; I'll bring some of those and some smaller ones if I can attend. (They aren't washed, though ... is that ok?)

As for plants, I don't have a lot, but do have, and will bring:

Dicentra - fernleaf, 'Luxuriant' I think, but I got the mama plant at least 10 years ago so am fuzzy on the variety.
    Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' (two small rooted starts)
    Rose - Tradescant (two small well-rooted & potted cuttings)
    Daylily 'Rosy Returns' (two divisions)
    Perennial Forget-Me-Not 'Blue Bird'
    Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'

I also have seedlings of hollyhock 'Nigra', amaranthus (love-lies-bleeding), malva (Zebrina, if I remember correctly)

Also have just-started cuttings of tri-color sage and Spanish lavender.

If anyone is interested, and I know I'm late posting this, I can bring fresh cuttings of Montauk daisy, Eastern redbud, pink crane's bill geranium, maybe a couple each of Russian sage and rainbow leucothoe. I have lots of the common forsythia babies if anyone is interested. It's about time to cut back the perennial baby's breath - has anyone had success rooting these ... I could bring some.

All this seems so mundane compared to some of the things I saw listed ... but they have been dependable for me.

I'll bring a tossed green salad for the pot-luck, if that doesn't seem too healthy and ... could anyone use a bag or two of starter fertilizer for the lawn? I just discovered about 8 bags of lawn fertilizers in the garden shed and we'll never use all that!

Looks like tomorrow's weather will be perfect - have a great time! If I don't make it, I'll catch the next one.

Diane

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can always use containers.

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Diane,
    I know I'm late in answering you but I'd love some eastern redbud. I had one, but DH ran it over by mistake :( Oh and pink geranium would be nice too.

Ellen

Sponsored