Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_nj

HAVE: Fall Plant Swap-Western Burlington County

steve_nj
19 years ago

We'll be hosting a fun plant swap/potluck/garden visit on Sunday October 3 starting at 12 noon. Plan on bringing plants, seeds, a covered dish, and garden related items(and a chair if you wish). The potluck to be followed by a garden walk and plant swap. If there is enough interest I will have a side trip to a few public plantings which include unusual species such as perennials and hardy palms. Email me for directions.

Comments (12)

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Where exactly in Western Burlington County?

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm in Willingboro, about 5 minutes from RT. 130 and 12 minutes from the Willingboro exit of I-295. The garden is doing well this year with the abundant sunshine and warm temps and I've been propagating some unusual species for the swap. The garden includes perennial beds containing hardy and 'tender' (winter mulched) species There are many unusual woodies such as broadleaved evergreens, over 20 varieties of Crape Myrtle,unusual natives, and variegated foliage. Hardy (with winter mulch) Basjoo bananas are focal points in several spots on the property. The weather on swap day will be sunny with a high of 78. I promise!

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Sunny and 78!!! Looks like you have influence with the big guy and the garden sounds like one from Eden! I hope I can go. I'll know better closer to the date. Hardy Palms?! Is that in zone 6? I would love a real palm tree.

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

Hi Steve

I'll put the date on the calender. I look forward to seeing the changes you have made in your garden since last year.

• dionhitchings
    19 years ago

nice meeting u today at all shapes nursery, hope to make it to the swap.

dion hitchings

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Steve,

How do you organize your swap? If I'm going to set aside some things for the swap, I just want to know now so I can pot up some stuff.

Ellen

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The swap is informal-just bring what you want. It's a casual, fun get-together. There will be plenty of plants.
    Plants can be potted up or brought with roots wrapped in damp newspaper and plastic bags. I can dig a clump of Bletilla when you're here and I have potted Sabal minor 'McCurtain'. Which of your Clematis are pink?

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Steve,

I've got a pink fantasy and pink champagne. I don't have any extras - yet but I could try rooting one for you by layering. I've tried cuttings without much success. I also have pictures and writeups of each if you're interested.

I'd love both the Bletilla and sabal minor for my tropicalesque gardens!!!

Let me know if there's anything else you're interested in.

Ellen

• steve_nj
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Clematis root easily from layers. I can use Hostas I don't have. You'll like Pollia japonica and Clerodendron bungei-they're zone 6 hardy and add a bold effect.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

I love trying new plants. I can try layering both of these clematis for you, I just don't know if they'll be ready in time for the swap, but I can certainly try. As for hostas, the only hostas I have for trade are blue cadet and golden tiara. I also have some nice named daylilies, ted spicer iris, and butter and sugar siberian iris not available. Are you interested in any of these?

• Datdog
    19 years ago

Hi Steve! I'm going to be late. I've got some people coming over to adopt my foster puppies. I'm hoping to make it around one.

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

i'd like to come. r u sending directions?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022