Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

HAVE: Plant Swap in Monmouth County

Deep Cut Gardens Great Fall Perennial Plant Swap -

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009, 10am-2pm. It's fun, free, easy. Bring perennials in one-quart, one-gallon or two-gallon containers and take home the same size and number of plants. At the fall swap, you can also swap houseplants, but, sorry, no annuals. Please label all plants.

Deep Cut Gardens is located at 152/352 Red Hill Road, Middletown, NJ, just 1.7 miles from Exit 114 of the Garden State Parkway. A part of the Monmouth County Park System, the park is open to the public free of charge 365 days a year. Summer hours are 8am-7pm. The Horticultural Center and Library are open Mon-Sat, 9:30am-3:30pm.

For additional information, call Deep Cut Gardens at 732-671-6050. For a complete listing of programs and events, please visit the MCPS website, www.monmouthcountyparks.com.

Comments (3)

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Thanks goodness I searched for this and found it in time!

Still need to get rid of Nepeta Walkers Low still in original pot that I can't find a place with enough sun so it doesn't flop horribly. Guess I'll keep 3 that are already planted with support rings only because they attract so many pollinators while they're in bloom...no matter how much I detest the horrible flopping foliage.

Have two Salvia greggii 'Pink Flare' that aren't made for the Zone 6 I grow in although they're listed as Zone 6. Bought them last fall and still in original pots. Heeled in over last winter with burlap protection and kept them watered and they're blooming right now on stems that survived.

Again, don't have enough sun to keep them permanently planted even with frost covers for winter so stems don't die off. If you were to advise me that I can put frost covers on them, no matter how unsightly, I'd be tempted to find a place for them...LOL. I should be realistic and just swap with someone in Zone 7 further south so they can enjoy without extreme measures.

Zone denial...it's a horrible thing.

Lost a couple hours sunshine over last 2 years in front bed due to tree growth in front of house.

I have small selfsown seedlings of Agastache foeniculum 'Honey Bee Blue' in Butterfly Garden that's been shaded out. No sense keeping them because mother plant doesn't even get enough sun. :( Can I pot them up and offer for swap? After I dig them up and see the root size I can put in pot size that will be filled with roots. Don't want to plop little plant into larger pot and give someone mostly potting mix.

What about Bearded Iris? Are they allowed in swap?

I was supposed to dig up and divide a whole bed of them (blue shades) this Fall. Minimally broke my wrist 2 weeks ago so overhaul of that bed is going to have to wait until next year but I might be able to manage digging up some rhizones. They started out as my grandfather's in his Newark, NJ gardens in the 50's and just keep going strong except for badly needing dividing.

If I can get some out should I leave them in clumps for recipient to divide as they wish? I'd dig them the afternoon before and put in damp newspaper (that's how my father used to hold them over) but don't know what they'd qualify for in swap. These clumps are a foot across and over. Should I just bring clumps and have you look at them?

Don't want to dig them if they're not suitable for swap.

What about perennial herbs like Foeniculum vulgare Bronze Fennel? Have 2 seedlings and nowhere to plant more than one I've got for Black Swallowtails.

Just walked around beds and found more selfsown plants I can pot up. If I can find some plants at swap that will survive deer and shadier sites it would save me the expense and time of trying to find them at local nurseries this Fall or next Spring.

I know I've asked a lot of questions but if you have time and can email me with advice I'd be very...

• agardenstateof_mind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Newbie in NJ, you have mail. Briefly, though, and if anyone else is wondering, if it is perennial in this area (and not invasive) it is welcome at the swap - that would include irises (we've had some beautiful ones come through in the past). At the fall swap we also exchange house plants.

On the registration and help tables, there are always a couple of lists of plants for difficult places - shady, wet, dry, unstable slopes, sites with deer - to help people find something suitable.

• Irina Wilson
    6 years ago

i need deer repellent plants

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner