Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
early emerging of bulbs

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 3:33

Strange January. Found first white snowdrop, not quite open, today. Must be even warmer in Salem County by Delaware Bay. Crocus are also putting leaves up. Even if normal weather returns, I am not worried about any of these plants, but cannot remember such early emergence. By this time last year my Akebia,Lonicera fragrantissima,and Hypericum had lost all their leaves. Only the honeysuckle bush is finally changing to yellow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: early emerging of bulbs

I'm up here in the northern part of the state and believe if this weather continues, the snowdrops will be in bloom in about 10 days.

I recall one year when I lived in Somerville, I noticed blooms on February 2nd, although they could have been there earlier.

I've noticed the perennial salvias I left outside are still alive (I take cuttings in the fall to make certain I have plants the following spring).

The buds on my vernal witchhazel are swelling and I would imagine the maple trees could soon bloom. Maybe if the ground freezes tomorrow, I'll take a tour around my yard and see what else might be beginning to appear.

The upcoming week is, historically, the coldest week of the winter so perhaps we've got lucky this year.

o

Witchhazel is showing yellow and leaf buds getting ready to pop one old honeysuckle.

o

i've never planted bulbs until this past fall. they are suppossed to be early spring blooming but I notice some of the alliums are growing -- I've got little plants several inches high in some spots. is this bad?

my weeping pussy willow has also begun to bloom.

i am pretty new at gardening so any help is appreciated.

o

No worries, sugar magnolia.
Well, I had to go out and look. You're right, the withhazels are starting to show a hint of color. Cool! And the honeysuckle had a bud spray open. It's still there in this cold. But the snowdrops are barely up if at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here