Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pontesmanny

How are your camellias doing

pontesmanny
17 years ago

Camellia japonica Spring Promise has been in bloom since Dec 29. It is unreal!

pontesmanny

Comments (17)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Happy New Year Manny!
    They must be tasty because the squirrels are cleaning their teeth with them.
    Actually, one looks like it is tempted to show some color but no flowers.
    It is a lot of fun getting flowers in the winter, isn't it? Really makes the winter feel short.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

C. japonica 'Professor Sargent' is flowering. The first Daphne odora flowers have popped open.

• pontesmanny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy New Year Loretta!

Yes, it is nice to have flowers in winter! Especially if they stay and do not get frozen. Vinca is in bloom and something that looks like Meehania cordata (it has been evergreen so far). Meehania should bloom in May June, correct??

pontesmanny

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Meehania is a new one for me. I had to look it up. I take it you came by yours naturally? Looks like an interesting prospect for shade.

• mprats
    17 years ago

I planted a camellia for the first time, "Snowstorm" back in the spring and it bloomed over Thanksgiving with no problem. I'm thankful for the warm weather, as it will help this baby get established.

• pontesmanny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Loretta: I think I got Meehania during the May 06 swap (if it is Meehania). In any case it has done well here and would seem like to good choice for shade).

mprats: Trust your camellia does well!

pontesmanny

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I still don't know what some of the plants are from the swap.

• carlanne
    17 years ago

I have three, the Winter Fire bloomed beautifully without damage thanks to the weather. Still has a few buds but I doubt they will open. Yuletide is new this year. April Kiss didn't bloom last spring but set many buds early this fall. I don't know if they'll make it throught the winter.

• pontesmanny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

carlanne:

They should be fine. Some of mine have been 4 winters and they have just sailed through. They are fairly sheltered from the wind but they are on the south side of the house. There are several deciduous trees shading them but they get quite a bit of sun in winter.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Carlanne,
    Have you seen Yuletide bloom yet? I am curious to know if it is red or really a dark pink.

• pontesmanny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It will be interesting to see what this cold snap does. I had a bud of Spring Promise that was on the verge of blooming. The outer petal is mostly fried but the inner ones seem to have the nice red deep color. Plenty more of winter to go, though.

pontesmanny

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

This is true variegation; not a virus.
    {{gwi:513310}}

C. cuspidata flowering earlier this month.
    {{gwi:1058028}}

C. j. 'Professor Sargent flowering earlier this month.
    {{gwi:1058029}}

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

You know it's dead winter if Steve has time to post pics. Thanks Steve. Love to see them. Where did you get the variegated camellia?

• pontesmanny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Very nice pictures Steve

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

The variegated Camellia was a cutting I ordered from Nuccios about 7 or 8 years ago. They sell cuttings as 'scion wood'. It seems more tender than other japonicas and has never set flowerbuds.

• carlanne
    17 years ago

To: Loretta. My yuletide is new this summer and quite small and it hasn't bloomed yet. I just wrapped some burlap around its cage to protect it from the wind since it is so new. Maybe another red would be better - we'll see. Since it is near the Winter Fire, pink with streaks of white, a pinkish color might be preferrable.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Carlanne,
    I've seen Yuletide pictured both ways and was curious. You know how those nurseries like to embellish.