Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsong72

Well, there goes any thoughts of .....

Birdsong72
17 years ago

the jap. quince putting on a beautiful flowering display come April.

It's in full flower as I write. While most of my rhodies are still dormant, I've had rogue flowering on Faisa, Lavendula, Ruth Motley and a couple of dauricums.

If we continue to get much more of these temps only dropping into the 40's at nite, dormancy may break and all of that heavy budding that is evident on all of my plants will go into the S#itter come late winter/early spring if we get a cold snap/big Feb snowfall. Only time wil tell.

Btw folks, it's not global warming as some opine. El Nino's the culprit.

Comments (4)

• njtea
    17 years ago

Good to hear from you stranger!

I noticed that there are flower buds on the hellebores and the forsythia buds are swelling as are the buds on the spring-blooming witchhazel. Hopefully, it will now turn cold enough to stop all this nonsense.

I heard that we are supposed to stay on the mild side, but not as mild as it's been, until mid-spring.

Sunrise turned the corner this morning and will slowly get earlier and earlier. And sunset is a good 16 minutes later than it was in mid-December. Hooray!

• sweetpea22
    17 years ago

I actually had a single white rose that came into bloom a little over a week ago in my backyard!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

My hydrangeas are unfolding their buds so I'm worried about them.
    What really has me ticked at the moment is my camellias are being debudded. Probably the same squirrel that keeps finding my bulbs. I keep finding shreds of them on the ground along with a leaf or two. They started into winter absolutely full of buds. Slowly they are being replaced by leaf buds (so they must still be growing). Three times I've been to the garden center to get the hot spray and have forgotten to pick it up. By the time I get my act together, I won't have anything left.
    As far as my only quince, Contorta, I've only seen it flower once and that was in the cold, so the flowers were ruined. I wouldn't mind seeing something on it now for a change. I moved it this year to see if I get any improvement. The branches are starting to show some small buds. I can't tell if they are flower buds though. Probably not...

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I bought some cinnamon oil spray that is suppose to repeal squirrels. Has all sorts of stuff from the kitchen in it. Seems like I can make it myself next time if it works. It has been two days and I haven't seen any new shredded buds...hopefully it won't burn the buds though. I see a very slight browning on the edges. I don't think that was there before.

I have to say, I've seen most of the plants bloom during winter that people are mentioning in winter's past, but I never came across any winterblooming rhodies.
    Are these typically your earliest bloomers? Which rhodies/azaleas bloom earliest for you Birdsong72.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath