Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gansett393

Help: Need to replace hedges

gansett393
10 years ago

Just this past week, my neighbors without asking, cut down the hedges along our property divide to about four feet (from about 10 to 12 feet) destroying the privacy of our backyard (one of the reasons we bought the house). It has now also exposed an ugly chain link fence (I'm a new homeowner as of a few months ago). I would love to remove the fence and the remainder of the hedges and plant something that will be fast growing or maybe be reassured the remaining hedge will grow back quickly.

Ideally I'd like to get something that is five to six feet high to start and that will grow to somewhere between 10 and 20 feet. Our driveway runs along the line so I would need something relatively compact in terms of width. It's a small property in the suburbs of NYC so I don't really have the option of planting anything that will grow to heights of like 30 or 40 feet (though I'd prefer it to avoid seeing our neighbors yard and the road on the other side of it, which is also now exposed).

Does anyone have any recommendations on options or should I just wait on the regrowth of the hedges (which I think were unruly and unkempt privet). Evergreens would be great, but I'm not sure where to start.

Please help!

Comments (2)

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    10 years ago

They cut YOUR hedges?? Do you know why they did it? I would hesitate to re-plant for fear that they would chop down again. How long a driveway are you talking about? To replace with 5-6 foot shrubs will be an expensive undertaking, plus the labor involved in removing the existing shrubs. Can you post a pic of what you have? The neighbor may have done you a favor. With proper pruning of existing hedge in future, it may make sense to keep what you have.

• gansett393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So after careful review, it looks as those the roots and base of the hedges are on my neighbors property (by mere inches) so I would assume that even though branches cross into my property I have no recourse for their cutting. They may be boxwood and not privet but I am curious if anyone knows the growth rates for each.

I do not have enough space along my side of the now cut hedges to plant anything new (my driveway is close to them) so I will probably be stuck with whatever growth comes back (hopefully fast but anyone who can weigh in on growth rates would be very helpful).

I have some places elsewhere that I can plant to provide portions of my backyard with some added privacy.

Two in particular that I would welcome recommendations:

One is a strip about three or four feet wide and 12 to 15 feet deep where I could plant something (this would add privacy to the back portion of my property and connect two existing plant beds (tulips, holly and black eyed susan on on side and hydrangeas on the other). Does anyone thing an evergreen like an arbor vitae might be good for a narrow strip like that between two other plant beds? Or would some kind of flowering/colorful shrub (forsythia?) work well in an area like that?

The second is on my deck, where I would like to put two large pots along one side to add some privacy. I could take them inside for the winter or leave them out. Ideally I'd want something fairly tall and thick to add some privacy. Any suggestions for large potted plants that can create some privacy?

Thanks for all of the help.