Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last frost date?

Posted by herbivore 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 14:37

Does anyone know our last frost date for this spring? (I am in central NJ and would follow the one listed for Trenton)

All I can find on websites is a general one, meant to apply to any given year (and as we all know that doesn't hold true lately, thanks to global warming!).

Last spring my local nursery gave something like May 14th as the frost date. So apparently they get a different date than the general one listed?

Anyone have other info on this? Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last frost date?

A good rule of thumb is after Mother's Day in Central NJ. I'm near New Brunswick.

o

I live in northeast coastal monmouth county and rarely do I have a frost after april 1 although the soil and air are still too cold for tropicals

o

I'm in Cherry Hill, and I remember my walls-o-water over the tomatoe seedlings having snow on them the first week of April one year. (The seedlings survived just fine.) We usually have a cold snap during the first 2 weeks of May, but weather.com gives us the 10 day forecast, so you can make your own judgement on when to plant annuals.

o

Hi, this site gives April 3 for the frost date, earlier than the date I usually see.
For Newark NJ, in the northern/central part of state.

Keep in mind the micro-climate can have as much as a 10-degree or more difference. For ex I garden in a community garden which is wide open to the winds, and the last frost occurs there later than in the community in which I live.

If your plants are sheltered, for example by your house, if they are on the eastern/southern side of the house, can considerably raise the temp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost date NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here